General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 2 EX: questions about programs and samples

Postby Lophophora » 08 Feb 2018, 06:31

Hey,

I have a Nord Stage 2 EX on which I have deleted and uploaded a number of sounds without really understanding exactly how the data is organized in the device's memory. Now that I got to know the sounds better I know which ones I actually use and those I don't need, I would like to delete what I don't need and use the space for samples I'll download from the Nord library. Then I would like to organize everything to my liking.

I am still not entirely comfortable with Nord's logic, even after reading the manual. From what I could gather, there are sound samples which are just raw sounds and programs which are a set of samples+settings including effects etc. What I don't really understand yet is how the piano, organ and synth section interact with this and each other. When I use my keyboard I mostly use the "category" feature because I found that was the most convenient way to find a particular instrument. I am tempted to use the sections as a starting point but I find it frustrating to not be able to see the changes I make, for instance if I select a particular piano sample in the piano section the main screen keeps on displaying the program name. Finally, the "slots" thing seems like a huge feature but I never really use it and I tend to even forget it's there, which confuses me when I use programs with layers.

Besides reading the manual over and over again, is there something you could advise me to do in order to get more comfortable with all this and find the right way to use my Nord to its full capacities?
Lophophora

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Nord Stage 2 EX: questions about programs and samples

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 2 EX: questions about programs and samples

Postby maxpiano » 08 Feb 2018, 06:49

You need to understand the NS2 structure which you can think this way: a master keyboard with 3 dedicated and indipendent "expanders" (the Organ, Piano, Synth sections) multiplied by 2 (the Slots) + slot effects (2x) and global effects (1x)

A Program = a full setup of those 3x2 expanders, with their individual settings + the master settings (zones, sections on/off, slots on/off, the Extern, etc..)

Piano and Organ don't store patches outside of Programs, the Synth instead can also store its settings in a separate "Synth Sounds" memory, which constitutes a library of Synth patches, but when a Program is recalled they are not used i.e. the Program does not recall a Synth Sound but the actual Synth settings that were stored with the Program.

Check also this diagram posted in the forum some time ago NS2 Structure.
Last edited by maxpiano on 08 Feb 2018, 13:41, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Lophophora
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby ericL » 08 Feb 2018, 07:46

My recommendation is that now you know which Program you like and use by Category, spend some time with the Nord Sound Manager hooked up and in Organize mode. When you select the Program in the software, it will show you which of the individual parts are in use - helpful for Piano and Sample management.

Then go to the Sample tab and you see all the samples currently loaded. As you pick each of these in the software, it will show you which Programs use the sample selected. You can scroll through and basically remove any that are associated with Programs you never use. Same for Pianos.

Just last night, I was looking to free up a bunch of memory in the Samples to load new things. I had already optimized things some time ago. But there were still a bunch of samples in there only being used by 1-2 Programs, which were things I had no regular use for and this represented more opportunity to get rid of stuff. You can always add them back later if you find a use case for some oddball niche sample.

It takes a little time, but it's worth it.

By the way, before doing any of this, I suggest saving off your Programs so you have a reference point just in case.
Last edited by ericL on 08 Feb 2018, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
Lophophora
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Lophophora » 08 Feb 2018, 10:04

Thanks Maxpiano and ericL, this was actually useful.

Scrolling through the Sound Manager is interesting indeed. I just discovered that on program 01:1 for instance, there is a "pre-loaded" violin sample that can be activated just by switching the Synth section on, but if you don't look at the program info in the software you don't know that, the keyboard itself doesn't show it until you switch the Synth section on.
Lophophora

Postby ericL » 08 Feb 2018, 13:20

Lophophora wrote:Thanks Maxpiano and ericL, this was actually useful.

Scrolling through the Sound Manager is interesting indeed. I just discovered that on program 01:1 for instance, there is a "pre-loaded" violin sample that can be activated just by switching the Synth section on, but if you don't look at the program info in the software you don't know that, the keyboard itself doesn't show it until you switch the Synth section on.

That's correct and it is a "secret" feature of the instrument that is quite powerful. Across both panels, you can set up a sound in each category (Organ, Piano, Synth, External) and choose to have it active as part of the Program when you switch to it, or you can selectively turn it on in the section, use a morph controller to bring it in, etc.

One of my favorite things that gives me a hands-free experience to switch between sounds in the same program. For example, quickly switching between a piano sound and a synth sound within the same program while playing. I set up the piano section to be active on full volume, while having the synth section (one or both panels) as active with the volume on zero. I use the control pedal to morph volume so that when I sweep it forward, it simultaneously turns the piano volume down to zero while bringing the synth sound(s) up to full volume.

I also like saving "hidden" sounds in various programs so I can quickly get some diversity if I want to - I will often leave the section turned on, but turn the volume down and either use the knob or a morph controller (pedal or wheel) to bring in the "hidden" sound. Leaving the section turned on helps me remember that it is there and I've spent time picking something to have available behind the scenes.

It's a very deep and capable instrument. Enjoy it!
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Lophophora » 08 Feb 2018, 15:23

It is a powerful instrument indeed, and I like the fact that I am so far from having exhausted its possibilities. That will probably help prevent a Stage 3 craving for a reasonable time. :)

In fact, I almost never use it live because where I live now almost all venues have a Korg SV1 and I use an electric piano 95% of the time so that saves me the hassle of carrying it around. I am however using it in my home studio a lot, its piano sounds blend well in a mix, in fact all the sounds do. So I don't really need the handy features that allow you to switch sounds or make changes on the fly.
Lophophora

Return to Nord Stage Forum