This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord stage 3 v's piano 3 for piano player..

Postby fjzingo » 30 Jun 2017, 22:47

Tried the stage 3 and piano 3 side by side and they feel quite similar. The stage 3 keys are slightly upgraded with a softer mat below the keys, the keys doesnt sound as much as the stage 2. Both 3s felt mich firmer than my stage2. I had better control over dynamics with nord piano 3.

I would seriously also test the Yamaha CP4, just for comparison of the actions. As much as I like Nords, the actions has always been a weak point, but its getting there. having said that, I have great finger to sound connection on my stage 2.

The author fjzingo was thanked by:
PianoDave
fjzingo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Sponsor

Postby derrellpiper » 01 Jul 2017, 01:42

A way up from the Nord Piano 3 is graded hammer weight action w/ ivory, which is what I think they were shooting for in the beginning. It's also woefully short of piano and sample memory. The whole point is the Piano and Sample library, at least that's how I see it for the Piano 3.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 01 Jul 2017, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby criss » 03 Jul 2017, 11:48

Vigifm, maybe you should take a look on a Nord Electro 5 HP (if you want to play occasionally a Pipe Organ or other organs). Good portability/price.
NE5D, NLA1, BS2, Boog, TX81Z, JV-1080, A33, AX-Synth, PC3K6, M350, BeatstepP. etc.
criss

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby PianoDave » 03 Feb 2018, 13:18

Is the Nord Piano3 worth it? 88keys great
Love the style
Access to the Piano Library
Thoughts anyone?
I have been playing for 30 years plus and I mainly looking for
a great piano sound with good key action
What is the triple feel action on the Nord Piano 3
PianoDave

Postby ajstan » 03 Feb 2018, 15:21

PianoDave wrote:Is the Nord Piano3 worth it? 88keys great
Love the style
Access to the Piano Library
Thoughts anyone?
I have been playing for 30 years plus and I mainly looking for
a great piano sound with good key action
What is the triple feel action on the Nord Piano 3

Hi Dave and welcome! This forum has an entire section for the Nord Piano, which would be a good place to look to get your questions answered. There’s a lot of great info there for you to review and it’s likely a more effective place to post your question instead of the General Nord section. Good luck in your search!
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby solmaster » 03 Feb 2018, 17:15

Dave-I own both the Stage 3 88 and Piano 3. (Well my son has the Piano 3 in his flat-he's a music student and 1st study pianist).
If you only really want mainly piano sounds combined with a superb action, don't hesitate. It's a fantastic piece of kit.
If you want other sounds as well as piano (like organ and synth), then the Stage 3 should be the one to aim at. While there is a small compromise with the action against the Piano 3, I don't have any problems at all.
It's a wonderful musically rewarding instrument to play, despite some owners disliking the velocity curve. I personally do not have any issues with this.
Whichever one you end up with, you'll play it for hours and enjoy every minute!
Remenber and budget for decent headphones and/or studio monitors for home use.
solmaster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby RainbowSeb » 19 Mar 2018, 09:42

Hey there,

I want to share my personal experience with NP3 with you. I‘m a classically trained jazz pianist and now selling my NP3 after just 18 months because the keyboard is having the third repair in that period of time. This time a key got stuck. I did not play any classical music on it, so it cannot be broken down because of Rachmaninov or Brahms... I never had a less reliable instrument, even my 1979 Rhodes piano had less problems in the 6 years i own it than my NP3 in just 18 months.
In my opinion the action is way too light, does not at all remind me of a real grand. The keyboard however works great together with the engine and the samples are incredible, no doubt. But if you are looking for a reliable keyboard that feels like a grand for solo gigs etc. I would doubt the NP3 is the right choice.
RainbowSeb

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro

Postby Quai34 » 19 Mar 2018, 10:34

Well, anytime I start to think about the Piano 3, there is a post making me going back to my initial thought, the Kawai MP11, EX now I think....But the weight...Pfuuu....
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby cphollis » 19 Mar 2018, 21:58

RainbowSeb wrote:Hey there,

I want to share my personal experience with NP3 with you. I‘m a classically trained jazz pianist and now selling my NP3 after just 18 months because the keyboard is having the third repair in that period of time. This time a key got stuck. I did not play any classical music on it, so it cannot be broken down because of Rachmaninov or Brahms... I never had a less reliable instrument, even my 1979 Rhodes piano had less problems in the 6 years i own it than my NP3 in just 18 months.
In my opinion the action is way too light, does not at all remind me of a real grand. The keyboard however works great together with the engine and the samples are incredible, no doubt. But if you are looking for a reliable keyboard that feels like a grand for solo gigs etc. I would doubt the NP3 is the right choice.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the NP3. I own two NP2s, and they are near-indestructible. Years of heavy, enthusiastic playing. Schlepping to and from gigs, and being thrown in the back of a truck. Dusty beach gigs. And, occasionally, being dropped or knocked off their stands.

No problem.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum