Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: The Abandoned Nord Lead 4

Postby Quai34 » 07 Nov 2017, 06:39

Someone posted on this site a long time ago a long thread comparing the 3 leads at that time (Cannot fins it anynore???), NL, 2, 2X and 3 and was saying that the 2X was the best analog sounding between the 3...I trusted him and bought a NL2X and was lucky enough to find an Anniversary model with Black Keys!!! I still love it, the "Fatness" of its sounds, "La patate" we would say in french (The potato) that it has is still an unbelieving joy for me...When you said it has a sound, I agree, artifact or no, I cannot find the same unique sound even in my pure analog synths like the DSI Prophet 08 or Prophet 12 (Ok the P12 might not be considered as pure analog for some purists because its oscillatorsa are digital...).
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby gio1009 » 07 Nov 2017, 07:12

Quai34 wrote:Someone posted on this site a long time ago a long thread comparing the 3 leads at that time (Cannot fins it anynore???), NL, 2, 2X and 3 and was saying that the 2X was the best analog sounding between the 3...I trusted him and bought a NL2X and was lucky enough to find an Anniversary model with Black Keys!!! I still love it, the "Fatness" of its sounds, "La patate" we would say in french (The potato) that it has is still an unbelieving joy for me...When you said it has a sound, I agree, artifact or no, I cannot find the same unique sound even in my pure analog synths like the DSI Prophet 08 or Prophet 12 (Ok the P12 might not be considered as pure analog for some purists because its oscillatorsa are digital...).

What TC pedals are you using on the nl2x? BTW, have you tried the nl4? It's like a 2x on steroids with its features. I have both but the 4 is my go-to for shows.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. -John Lennon
gio1009

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby Artico78 » 07 Nov 2017, 13:16

Its what i think, i bought it one month ago, all you do with NL A1, you can obtain close result with NL4
Artico78

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby Quai34 » 08 Nov 2017, 13:04

NL2X stereo out to Helix Phaser Stereo in to Dreamscape (vibrato, Chorus, Flanger) to Vintage alter ego delay (Not he blue, the beige One) to the Classic Hall of fame reverb
your-music-keyboard-rig-f25/guitar-pedals-on-keyboards-t9435.html

Some picture at the end of this topic....
Last edited by Quai34 on 08 Nov 2017, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby eisblau » 17 Jan 2018, 20:10

"Cold sounding Nord Lead 4" mystery solved: Just put some very little unstepped random modulation from LFO2 keytriggered to Oscillator 1 (or 2) tune, and the sound is as equally as warm as on the Nord Lead A1. The difference is really night and day. You have to sacrifice one LFO, but still, you can use LFO1 or the AR Envelope for some modulation. The reason for this work-around is, I think Clavia overdid the oscillator stabilitiy on the NL4, whereas they made it "better" for the worse on the Nord Lead A1. It's a shame they did not include a drift parameter on both synths.

Maybe a final OS 1.31 could include this?

Otherwise, the NL4 is just perfect for me. If I want "vintage" phaser or flanger, as on my A1, I use my external FX units. The NL A1 is really the same sounding in any other regard.
Last edited by eisblau on 17 Jan 2018, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Gear: Nord Rack 1, Nord Wave, Nord Lead 3 KB, Nord Modular G2 + G2X, Nord Lead 4r (x2)

The author eisblau was thanked by:
Marlowes
eisblau

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby eisblau » 21 Jan 2018, 02:30

Well, I just compared NL4r and A1r side by side with same settings. They sound totally the same. Dunno why the peeps say A1 sounds warmer. I think most are overwhelmed by the features of the NL4, you have much to mess with. Little random modulation on pitch make both equally more analoguish. Best filter for analog is the 12db „oberheim“ style, very smooth sounding with wet resonance.
Nord Gear: Nord Rack 1, Nord Wave, Nord Lead 3 KB, Nord Modular G2 + G2X, Nord Lead 4r (x2)
eisblau

Postby stiiiiiiive » 21 Jan 2018, 15:57

The fact a synth is said to sound ore analogue than another may result not only from the raw oscillator sound or filter, but from the way the different parameters are "calibrated", i.e. what value range you can reach with the knobs and different modulators.
Take the Moog Model D: it sounds very musical, no matter what, because of such design choices.
The NL A1 design may have been more focused on "musicality" than the NL4's... just thinking out loud.

eisblau wrote:The reason for this work-around is, I think Clavia overdid the oscillator stabilitiy on the NL4

Do you have sources for this information? I would be very intersted because as far as I know, there is no such thing as "oscllator stability" when it comes to VA. Virtual oscillators are per se perfectly in tune unless the code features some drift simulation, precisely.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB

The author stiiiiiiive was thanked by:
Marlowes
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby combathook » 30 Jan 2018, 16:31

I really like both the NL4 and the A1, but there are some sonic differences between the two. It's especially obvious in the additional waveforms. The A1 formant and electric piano waveforms are much more "3D" sounding to my ears. I only have an A1 now, but perhaps someone with both boards can upload an example.

Also, some architectural differences allow for other sounds in the A1 that the 4 can't easily replicate, namely "shape" modulation of any waveform and amplitude modulation. It also has a great ring modulator (in the effects section) and it used to have a better reverb algorithm until the 4 was updated. Of course the 4 has much better FM implementation, modulation of FX, and you can turn the CV tracking off for OSC2. Anyway, this is all old, old news. :lol:

Both are great!
combathook

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby eisblau » 02 Feb 2018, 03:11

As said before. I have NL4r and A1r. With the last OS update (NL4 sound got matched to most A1 behaviour) on both and same settings (where they overlap, festure wise) 1 Oscillator, no FX, same Filter... they sound EXACTLY the same. Sorry for busting the myth, but I controlled both the same time on 2 stereo channels on my mackie mixer. The FX on the A1 sound far superior, but the usability and depth of sound crestion is more advanced on the NL4. Anotherbig difference is the second oscillator on the NL4. Its more easy to „analog“ simulate a 1 Osc sound as the analog behaviour of 2 analog oscillators interferring with each other in nuances. There the A1 has more easy going.

What I said when I assumed Clavia overdid the stability of ther analog oscillator emulations it becomes clear when you noticed they did not include analog drift parameter intentionally. They „stable“ sound has become Nord‘s performance trademark. I regret this decision.
eisblau

Postby eisblau » 02 Feb 2018, 03:53

PS.: Interesting point withe the Formants. The Formant Waveforms are preferred on the A1 as well, they seem a bit dull on the NL4. But FM sounds better on NL4. I should have added that I only compared most basic features, so all the basic analog waveforms with NL4 and A1, and in this area they sounded exactly the same.
eisblau

Previous

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum