This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Bambino Upright - New Upright at Mothership

Postby emartin149 » 11 Jul 2016, 21:15

>Back to the Black upright<

Indeed. The new trend is towards bigger file samples (which helps sell the new models of course).

With the Uprights, "Large" has gone from the 60s with the Blue Swede, Black, and Queen etc to just under 100MB with the newer Mellow and Bambino...even though the definition of "large" has remained constant.

I wonder what's changed that is almost doubling the sample size.

I'm assuming it's just better technology doing a better grab. So I'd like to see some of the classic and historically quite popular Nord pianos, like the Lady D or the Black Upright, get this new treatment.

Because...even though these newer pianos are interesting, they are not out-ranking their predecessors in desireability or performance, the larger file sizes not withstanding. The Black Upright still beats the colorless Grand Upright. The Rain or Romantic beat the Mellow. Etc.
Last edited by emartin149 on 11 Jul 2016, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.
emartin149

Sponsor

Postby maurus » 12 Jul 2016, 00:58

emartin149 wrote:The Black Upright still beats the colorless Grand Upright.

Yes.
emartin149 wrote:The Rain or Romantic beat the Mellow. Etc.

No.

Just to show: Different people, different opinions.
maurus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby pablomastodon » 12 Jul 2016, 01:52

"Just to show: Different people, different opinions."

So true! One day (a long time ago) I had two phone calls about the same Nord instrument. One person was complaining about the organ volume being too soft in comparison to the piano volume, the other complaining about the organ volume being too loud in comparison to the piano volume.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby harmonizer » 13 Jul 2016, 15:18

After testing the Bambino sound at home, I tried it for one song at our covers band rehearsal last night. My perception is that it seems to not break when used in a mono setup, and this is the first Nord acoustic piano sound that I have been able to play at rehearsal and not have to switch to a piano sound from my Roland synth half way through the song. I am wondering if Nord took intentional steps with Bambino to make it usable in mono.

The song I played it on was "China Grove", where everything is well above middle C. As others have noted, the sounds on the lower end properly sound like a spinet, and thus this will not be my "go-to" acoustic piano sound for that reason. But I have squeezed the Bambino XL into my Electro 3, and for me it is the most usable acoustic piano sound Nord has created so far. I am very glad to see Nord having made this effort.

If indeed Nord made some effort to make Bambino work well in mono, I would love to see similar effort applied to a more general purpose grand or upright sound. While I certainly appreciate that there are a large number of fans for the stereo sound of Nord acoustic pianos, there are a bunch of people (both current and potential future owners) who need acoustic piano sounds that sound good in mono.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby emartin149 » 13 Jul 2016, 15:52

The Bambino is fun and distinctive, but it's not a stage piano. I can't remember any band trundling a Baldwin out. Nor do I think many would want to.

Granted, not many people drag a Bosendorfer Imperial out to play Gimme Shelter either, but they WOULD if they COULD.

I tried it, and then like El Lobo I put the Black Petrof back. That one is still the go-to Upright for rock and roll. I wish Nord would use their "new sampling" technique (or whatever they are now doing that generates files 1.5x the size of the old ones) for the Blue Swede and the Lady D.
Last edited by emartin149 on 13 Jul 2016, 15:58, edited 3 times in total.
emartin149

Postby themixtape » 28 Jan 2018, 07:35

I still love this one. Ships as the XL upright in the NS3. Surprised Nord didnt include the Amber as the main XL too. Might be too recent, the Amber I mean.

What baffles me though... why are there ZERO demos of the Bambino on Youtube? Go ahead and search. You will find nothing. Nothing. Not even an official Nord demo, oddly. No demos at all. Anywhere.

This piano has so much character. I am genuinely surprised you can't find anyone playing it on Youtube.
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chriscaulder.net
http://patreon.com/chriscaulder
-------------------------------------------------------
themixtape

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum