Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

My experiment

Postby Ecaroh » 29 Nov 2011, 10:17

Hi folks,

Just giving you a short idea what I am been experimenting lately:

I have mixed together Nord Piano with Pianoteq Pro (PTQ).

For those who don't know PTQ: It is a modeled piano software which generates its piano sound completely with mathematical algorithm, no samples at all. You can have infinitive amount of different piano sounds using different piano models and for example different hammer, string length, mic positioning settings. In my opinion PTQ is at its best for resonances and string interaction part of sound. This is what is missing in most sample pianos and this make them sound sometimes little "soulless". On the other hand, PTQ has problem with attack part of the sound: it does not give you this "right clonk" which we all hear at very first moment. I'd say that PTQ is still lacking a clear, punchy attack. This is the part which is obviously better with sampled pianos.

Of course when you mix together two piano sounds it can have problems (tuning and maybe some phase issues). What I did with PTQ was to make it softer and to decrease its own attack part. Then I put off "String resonance" from Nord piano. So (as much as I could) I am hearing attack from NP and getting resonances and more sustain from PTQ. I must say that I am quite impressed. PTQ seems to give more "life" to NP's sound and also some wideness and more deep bottom.

More experiments needed here but at the moment it feels like you are playing V-piano with just more natural piano sound...!
Last edited by Ecaroh on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

My experiment

Sponsor

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum