General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Latency Nord Stage 3 at heavy load

Postby Inside_Joke » 24 Dec 2017, 13:54

Hi all,

The NS3 is a great instrument, better at 1.32 but i found while using 4-6 sounds at the same time i clearly feel a different response: i experience latency latency when playing more intense pieces. Might i demand too much of the engine? Because it's hard to objectively proove by recording it, i wonder if anyone else noticed this.

Regards,

Lemon
Inside_Joke
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Latency Nord Stage 3 at heavy load

Sponsor

Re: Latency Nord Stage 3 at heavy load

Postby alcools » 24 Dec 2017, 15:09

There was a discussion at this subjet before. Do you feel this latency only when you're playing a program mixing an organ and another sound in the same layer ? Because the organ sound is triggered at the beginning of the key enfoncement. So, the organ sounds before the other type of sounds when press in the same time.
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
alcools

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby Inside_Joke » 24 Dec 2017, 21:14

Well, i noticed it in a patch where i have a CP80, 2 synths and one pipeorgan. I only notice it when i play fast repetitive arps and big chords. When using two piano's, one for main and the second as a DSP i feel anyway it is not as fast (direct) and smooth as when you use a single piano sound. But not as worse a using the full two panels. I realise a B3 has a tough fast attack and stands out but this actually feels as a latency thing. I hope Nord wil be able optimise this in a coming update, for now i will restrict my playing to a single panel.
Last edited by Inside_Joke on 24 Dec 2017, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Inside_Joke
Patch Creator

Postby wartaler » 25 Dec 2017, 12:16

Hoi Lemon,
What alcools refers to is that the organ responds faster, not because the organ sound has faster attack, but because on the Stage the organ is triggered when the key is depressed slightly, while piano and synth are triggered when the key is almost all the way down. This is to make organ style playing easier on a piano-like keyboard, and can be switched off in the sound menu. So perhaps you can try to switch this ‘B3 organ keyboard trigger point’ off in the menu, and then check again.
Hope it helps!
Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby Mr_-G- » 25 Dec 2017, 12:36

Hi, Could you please make a recording (ideally with video) so people can understand what it going on. There is a setting to trigger the organ earlier (at least in the NS2, I suppose it is in the NS3 too), but it is difficult to know if that is the problem or there is indeed a latency issue.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby neuron101 » 07 Jan 2018, 22:15

I can realize the latency issue too. The system seems to react this way, when playing layers, or even split sounds. As soon, as I add a second sound, the Piano section starts to get weak . . . I may be oversensible, but I can feel, that chords do not sound at once anymore . . . chords sound and feel slightly arpeggiated - and the behaviour gets worse, the more notes are beeing played. This is not good, and far away, from what I know from all my previous Stage‘s. Momentarily, I am trying to port my sound setup from a 2 / compact, to a 3 / compact, and I can compare 1:1 . . . I really hope, there will be an update to cover this issue, but I fear, this is due to a weak core chip . . . any expert‘s word on this?!? Many thanks - Axel
neuron101

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Inside_Joke » 13 Jan 2018, 12:37

To be honest, i am suprised only Neuron101 and i notice the latency while playing fullforce. Although i must admit i notice the latency only when i am using more than 3 sounds and use the sustain - so there is alot of polyphony going but still.. Playing 1 sound is quite different than using a stack of sounds, at least for me. A arpeggio effect due to latency goes a bit far, but i sense the latency enough to not use all engines togheter. Recording it is not a real option, the differences are to subtil to be audiable but when playing heavy pieces it's there allright. I hope Nord will be able to optimise the code so we can use at least most of the engine without feeling playing a soft synth. Because the NS-3 wants to rock like no other!
Inside_Joke
Patch Creator

Postby maxpiano » 13 Jan 2018, 12:51

You could do this simpletest actually:
- play something using the complex Program (3 sounds or more) where you notice the latency and record both the audio and MIDI of it

- replay the MIDI it using a single engine (of that same patch) one at at time and record each, then also sum them

- align the start of the waveforms and compare, if latency is different you should osberve a shift in the attack of the notes.
Last edited by maxpiano on 13 Jan 2018, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum