General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Possible Quick Fix for Loose Modwheel Connector on NS3C

Postby Fallboard » 21 Dec 2017, 04:54

Okay, so as we all know the NS3C has a design flaw in which the 3-pin Modwheel connector was placed too close to the top of the keybed. Consequently, the connector can eventually work its way loose, leading to an intermittent or disconnected modwheel. The usual cure for this is to open the unit carefully and reconnect it. But I noticed that the connector is visible in the gap between the case and the top of the keybed when the unit is assembled. If the connector was partially disconnected (as mine was), I feel like all that would be needed to reconnect it would be a plastic spudger (or disposable Bic pencap clip, or other similar non-scratching thin plastic object) to simply push it back onto the connector. The plastic probe would not have to be long, as the connector only sits about 2-3cm from the front lip of the case.

Obviously this will likely NOT work if the connector was not originally seated properly or has become completely disconnected, but I thought it would be a helpful way to keep an eye on it, as well as re-seat it if it comes loose as it did in my case. Hope this helps.

photo_2017-12-20_18-50-34.jpg
photo_2017-12-20_18-50-34.jpg (71.75 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
Nord Stage 3 Compact
2012 Steinway Model B
Kawai MP11
Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4
ASM Hydrasynth 49
Moog Matriarch
Yamaha MODx

The author Fallboard was thanked by 7 members, including:
KeyBardaureliopennamaurichBio FloydSchultiMr_-G-kbrkr
Fallboard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Possible Quick Fix for Loose Modwheel Connector on NS3C

Sponsor

Re: Possible Quick Fix for Loose Modwheel Connector on NS3C

Postby kbrkr » 21 Dec 2017, 06:01

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of just opening it up and use some electrical tape to secure the connector and route the wires away from any obstructions.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby Fallboard » 21 Dec 2017, 06:20

kbrkr wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of just opening it up and use some electrical tape to secure the connector and route the wires away from any obstructions.

I'm thinking a tiny ziptie for when this happens again
Nord Stage 3 Compact
2012 Steinway Model B
Kawai MP11
ASM Hydrasynth 49
Moog Matriarch
Yamaha MODx
Fallboard

Postby kbrkr » 21 Dec 2017, 14:50

Fallboard wrote:
kbrkr wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of just opening it up and use some electrical tape to secure the connector and route the wires away from any obstructions.

I'm thinking a tiny ziptie for when this happens again

That would work as well. Something is going on inside the unit and I'm worried about moving it around on so many gigs.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby Fallboard » 08 Jan 2018, 06:58

So today my modwheel started acting up during a songwriting session with my band. Really annoying and embarrassing, to say the least. I looked through the keys and noticed the connector still seemed firmly seated, but I thought I would try my trick here so I cut up an expired credit card into a 2cm wide strip and bent it at the end to gently wedge it behind the Eb so I could nudge the connector back onto the pins. The wheel started working fine once again after that. I'm going to contact Nord again this week, I can't afford to have this crap happen during a show, but I just thought you guys should know this non-invasive trick will work so long as A) Your modwheel connector is not fully disconnect and B) it was connected properly in the first place.
Nord Stage 3 Compact
2012 Steinway Model B
Kawai MP11
ASM Hydrasynth 49
Moog Matriarch
Yamaha MODx
Fallboard

Postby kbrkr » 08 Jan 2018, 15:13

Firstly; are you sure it's a 3 pin connector and not a four pin. My issue discovered when I opened the case for the first time, the connector was firmly on the pins, however they were offset by 1 single pin. I disconnected and firmly installed and checked the wires for clearance. I remember checking if the connector was firm and it was. I'm thinking something else is going on with the Mod Wheel; perhaps its the wires going from the connector to the circuit board need to be re-soldered or have a loose solder joint???? I'm not about to tackle that while it's in warranty.
Last edited by kbrkr on 08 Jan 2018, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby pablomastodon » 06 Feb 2019, 05:28

The correct fix is to follow the Nord recommendation instead of mucking about with poking, prodding, taping, etc. Half measures will only result in unreliable behavior long term. NS3-Compact owners are invited to contact me to arrange for this service.

Bless, Pablo
800-994-4984 x3030
pablo.mastodon@americanmusicandsound.com
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Stage Forum