Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Electro 5 - missing features

Postby RedLeo » 21 Jun 2015, 15:21

rajbooth is right. You can consider two organ manuals to be mono-timbral as much as you like, but it's not, it's bi-timbral.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Sponsor

Postby pablomastodon » 21 Jun 2015, 17:25

rajbooth wrote:...However, I think I would take issue with your description of the current behaviour as being monotimbral. If you are wanting to play two distinct organ tones plus a synth or piano, then I would personally count that as three separate timbres, requiring three discrete sound engines in the NE5. To implement this would, I think, go beyond a simple tweak of the OS and into the realms of a major redesign of the system architecture; a Nord Stage 3 perhaps?
There is possibly the need for another thread in this forum for contributors to post their wish lists for new features to go in the NE6. The aim of this thread was mainly to highlight those features that previously existed in the NE3/4 but were omitted from the NE5, and which should in theory be relatively easy to reinstate with an OS update.

Agreed that three different sounds would be tri-timbral, not bi.

Also, like to point out that that Nord has already added some of the NE3/4 features missing from NE5, most notably dual behavior for single sustain pedal, adding rotary speaker control, and even more radically, reception of PB data, just weeks on the heels of the instrument's release.

Bless,

Pablo
Last edited by pablomastodon on 21 Jun 2015, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Valpurgis » 21 Jun 2015, 20:46

pablomastodon wrote:
Agreed that three different sounds would be tri-timbral, not bi.

Bless,

Pablo

My initial question a couple of months back was whether the new concept of "layering" organ/piano in NE5 would mean that I could play dual manual organ plus piano. And yes if this would mean going from bitimbral since NE2 to tritimbral in NE5 I should have used the terms bi and tri. Sorry for using wrong terms, but at last I got the answer.
Valpurgis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Mantrak » 16 Jul 2015, 19:04

Gospelkeys wrote:One annoying limitation is that the leslie sim is part of the amp sim effects.

This means you can't have a split with a B3 sound with the leslie sim and an EP with an amp sim at the same time.

Wish they had made the leslie a separate effect like it is onthe stage 2.

Well then it is true. And it is even worse. In a classic split situation, you cannot have one effect for the EP and another for B3 unless they are from a different effect groups. Normally you would want different type of distortion (Leslie type for B3 and say, Twin or Tube for the EP).

I wonder if this can be fixed with OS update... if it was just bad UI decision then we may be lucky. If it is architecture limitation (more likely) then... :sad:
Last edited by Mantrak on 16 Jul 2015, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Korg Polysix, Roland Juno 106, DSI Prophet 12
Fender Rhodes MK1, Wurlitzer 270 electric baby grand
Hammond B3 1958, Leslie 122A
Mantrak

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby pablomastodon » 17 Jul 2015, 09:21

can't help but observe that much of this thread is really saying:

"wish it was a Stage 2..."

It's not a Stage 2, it's an Electro. Just sayin'....

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby vcfvca » 14 Dec 2017, 14:05

I have to agree that no controller or sysex dump is an oversight. A really useful feature would be a controller dump on program change. I have a Nord Organ panel written using TBMS Midi Stuff (posted elsewhere on this forum) but it doesn't work so well on the E5 because there is no controller dump function. Live 2 way communication is fine but it would be nice to see the iPad screen update when a new organ patch is selected. You can see the drawbar settings on the Nord screen but the graphic is a bit small. One other important point: the Electro 4 sent separate CC messages for each set of drawbars CC#16-24 for the Upper and CC#70-78 for lower. The E5 sends the same CC numbers for both sets of drawbars.
IMG_1662.PNG
TBMS ELectro Panel
IMG_1662.PNG (507.64 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

BTW I made my own half-moon switch although I also find the pedal options very comprehensive. The E5 implementation is weird- when switched to FAST both the FAST and STOP LEDs are lit but the the Leslie sim in fast mode When switched to STOP the SLOW and STOP LEDs are lit. It's not a problem once you get used to it. You also have to remember that on program change the half moon may not match the Nord settings. Great fun though and easy to make the fittings as the E5 has predrilled holes underneath - nice touch. Cost about £12!

IMG_1664.JPG
DIY Half Moon Switch
IMG_1664.JPG (153.34 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Last edited by vcfvca on 14 Dec 2017, 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
vcfvca

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby SimonW » 04 Jan 2018, 21:07

Would it be hard to upgrade the Sound Manager software to allow for Set List editing? And while they're doing that, it would be great if the D5 synched with the software, so that scrolling through one simultaneously scrolled through the other. From here, it shouldn't be too hard to audition programs as you go through the Sound Manager. I would hope Nord are investing in such upgrades to the software.
SimonW

Postby venro » 05 Jan 2018, 13:07

Simultaneously scrolling isn't necessary since double clicking a program/song or sample in Sound manager changes the Nord immediately already. Or use the Autoselect function.
Last edited by venro on 05 Jan 2018, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
venro

Postby hammondking » 12 Jan 2018, 19:04

Yeah I agree, most of these complaints are in fact "I wish it were a Stage". On the other hand, the price of the NE5 is now around where the Stage used to be, so I can kind of see the source of the complaint. But aside from price, another reason I like the Electro over the Stage is that it's a lot easier to use. When I try a Stage in the store, it takes me a while to figure out how to get the sound I want, because there's so much going on in the UI. Even the Electro is a little more complicated than it used to be. I'm not complaining, I'm loving the NE5, but there are times when I miss my NE2's interface. :)
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha YC73
Crumar Mojo 61 Reverse
Clavinet D6
Rhodes Stage 88
Rhodes Home Piano
Yamaha Reface CP
StudioLogic SL73 Studio
Alesis Vortex 2 Wireless
Yamaha SonoGenic SHS-500
hammondking

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Murphy » 13 Jan 2018, 00:06

Agree too: I have an Electro 5D 73-key version and a Nord Stage 3 Compact. I was originally going to sell my Electro 5D, but I love the keyboard and currently don't plan to sell it. My new Compact is awesome, but it will take me a good while (really good while) to get used to all that it can do. The Compact really delivers and takes care of more things that the E5D cannot do, however, the Electro 5D is special to me and it's simultaneously powerful and easy to play. It's a keeper. Feel lucky to be able to afford both. For the time being anyway...
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum