The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

HELP - sound keeps "cutting out"...sort of (???)

Postby nlalaian » 23 Dec 2017, 06:57

So my church's Nord C2D has been great, we've had it for about three years, along with the PK27 and half moon. I'm the organist and it's been an AMAZING setup for us.

But for the past few weeks we've had a problem - at completely random times (at least they're random to me, I can't seem to find a cause or common denominator), the sound sort of "cuts out." Only, it doesn't completely cut out, it's actually as if the expression pedal has been pushed down to 0% volume (i.e. we can still hear some of the sound, just like at 0%). I have to move the expression pedal to a different volume position to get it to jump back.

And yes, I'm positively CERTAIN that it's the organ cutting out (and not the mixer, snake, or DI box), because (1) no other instruments or mics are cutting out, and (2) when I go to the settings and I go to where I can see the pedal volume percentage, when it cuts out, the volume number on the organ's screen actually goes to 0%, then jumps back to whatever percentage it was at before when I move the expression pedal a little.

It's very frustrating. It doesn't happen just when all the other instruments are playing, so I don't think it's an overload problem. I don't THINK that any of our wireless mics are interfering with it, because I've used the organ while they were off and it still happened. It's not a ground loop issue because we've lifted everywhere we possibly can and it still happens. And it's not the expression pedal's fault, because when it first started happening I switched out Nord's included pedal for a Moog EP-3 expression pedal (which I'm still using and happy with), and the problem continued. And I'm pretty sure it's not the expression pedal settings on the organ...I haven't extensively tried each expression pedal setting for long periods of time to see if things change - that may be the issue, but I don't think so. So is it just a hardware (or even software) issue with the organ? Has anyone encountered anything like this or am I the only one?
Last edited by nlalaian on 23 Dec 2017, 07:03, edited 3 times in total.
nlalaian

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

HELP - sound keeps "cutting out"...sort of (???)

Sponsor

Re: HELP - sound keeps "cutting out"...sort of (???)

Postby Mr_-G- » 23 Dec 2017, 11:39

Maybe your pedal volume potentiometer is faulty and jumps from 0 to whatever position is in.
What happens if you disconnect the pedal?
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 23 Dec 2017, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
nlalaian
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Quai34 » 23 Dec 2017, 17:29

+1, check the cable as well, I had that kind of the same issue with the Swell pedal on my C2 and I bring it to my tech, he checked it with a voltmeter I think and said that I needed to change the cable....No more issues...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
nlalaian
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby nlalaian » 23 Dec 2017, 21:18

Mr_-G- wrote:Maybe your pedal volume potentiometer is faulty and jumps from 0 to whatever position is in.
What happens if you disconnect the pedal?

Haven't tried disconnecting the pedal yet, but I'll try that as well. I'm hoping the problem isn't expensive to fix...

Quai34 wrote:+1, check the cable as well, I had that kind of the same issue with the Swell pedal on my C2 and I bring it to my tech, he checked it with a voltmeter I think and said that I needed to change the cable....No more issues...

Now that I have done - I guess I forgot to say that - and yeah, the issue still persists unfortunately. I guess I could try yet another cable (I don't have another TRS cable laying around, I'd have to buy it), but I don't think that's the issue.

In the meantime, any more suggestions??
Last edited by nlalaian on 27 Dec 2017, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
nlalaian

Postby nlalaian » 04 Jan 2018, 06:47

I figured out what's causing the problem - sort of - and haven't found a solution quite yet. For some reason when I put pressure on the expression pedal with my foot, the volume does whatever I want it to. But when I release my foot from the pedal, even at full volume position, the organ's volume goes to 0%. I don't know if it's by design, or just a flaw with my particular pedal (the Moog ep-3), or a flaw with my C2D, or the pedal settings (like which "pedal" it's set to), or what...

Maybe I'll order another moog ep-3 and see if it's just mine. I don't think so, because the problem still happened with the factory pedal that came with the PK27. Who knows...
nlalaian

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum