Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord Electro 3: Sustain Pedal issue - (solved!)

Postby phanner » 21 Nov 2017, 05:11

Hello Nord forum members :wave:

About a month ago I updated my Nord Electro 3 to v3.12 and used the sound manager to update a few patches from the sound library. All was well for about 2 weeks... Now when I turn on my Nord and play any piano note, it will sustain "as if" I have my foot on the pedal. (If I unplug the sustain pedal from the board, it no longer sustains.) When I plug it back in... it will sustain all the time without my foot pressed on it. Pressing down on it will not let off the sustain. I checked the polarity and reversed it and that wasn't the issue. I also toggled the mode back and forth from sustain to sustain/rotor. I'm currently not sure if it's a pedal issue or a software issue. This nord never left my house.. and is very well taken care of.

The pedal in question is a Yamaha FC4. it worked well for several years. I baby'd this pedal and it has never left my house either. so I'm not sure if this pedal just broke..... or if I have a software issue. I've read other users have had a similar issue... and wanted to post to see if anyone had any advice. I've yet to take the time out and bring my board down to the local music store and figured I'd ask here to see if any members could help me solve this issue.

I also have a spare pedal: a Roland VFP1... which I don't believe ever worked with the electro 3 and when I tested it... found the polarity was opposite of the FC4. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I would love to have my keyboard back so I can play again :(

Thank you in Advance,
Phanner
Last edited by phanner on 29 Dec 2017, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
phanner

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Nord Electro 3: Sustain Pedal issue - (solved!)

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 3: Sustain Pedal issue - pls help!

Postby maxpiano » 21 Nov 2017, 10:11

If it doesn't stop sustaining even when you press it, probably it is a failure of the pedal switch or just of its cable.
You need to check it (or have it checked) using a multimeter to verify if the switch is working properly and the cable is still OK.

Meantime you can use the other pedal (guess it is a Fatar, not Roland, VFP1) by setting the correct polarity on NE3 System menu.
Last edited by maxpiano on 21 Nov 2017, 10:16, edited 6 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
phanner
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby harmonizer » 21 Nov 2017, 17:17

I recently used the setting in my Electro 3 to allow me to start using an M-Audio sustain pedal.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby phanner » 29 Nov 2017, 06:09

maxpiano wrote:If it doesn't stop sustaining even when you press it, probably it is a failure of the pedal switch or just of its cable.
You need to check it (or have it checked) using a multimeter to verify if the switch is working properly and the cable is still OK.

Meantime you can use the other pedal (guess it is a Fatar, not Roland, VFP1) by setting the correct polarity on NE3 System menu.

Appreciate the help Max :thumbup:
I'll have to bring my pedal's down to the shop and get em checked out. I've been so busy and haven't had the time to bring it down. Broke my heart when I thought something major could have happened. I just want to play :keyboard:

as for everyone else that read this thread.. thank you for taking a look. I'll be sure to leave an update when I figure out and solve the issue... so that if someone runs into the same issue they'll have some guidance.

If I have to buy a new pedal... anyone recommend any new products? It's been so long since I've had to buy a new one.

Thanks again everyone

***for the record - yes it was a Fatar.. my bad. But the Fatar won't work with the polarity backwards. When I plug in the Fatar... and press a note without stepping on the pedal... it's the reverse of the yam. It won't sustain. but If I reverse the polarity.... and play a note without my foot pressed... it sustains. It's the exact opposite. :facepalm:
Last edited by phanner on 29 Nov 2017, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
phanner

Re: Nord Electro 3: Sustain Pedal issue - (solved!)

Postby phanner » 29 Dec 2017, 02:06

Problem solved! The real issue was that both of the pedals that I own were broken. The Keyboard thank goodness is in great working shape. Appreciate the community help as it def eased my nerves when I thought my board was broke.

Happy News Years to everyone... let's hope 2018 is niceeeee
phanner
phanner

Return to Nord Electro Forum