The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: Nord C2D Pipe Organ - a review for fussy pipe organists

Postby Quai34 » 04 Dec 2017, 01:05

vanderhill22 wrote:I also paid 1,700 US for the C2 but it was on eBay and was scratch and dent...2,400 seems fair for a good condition C2D.

Well, I just realized that it was 1700 CAN$ which is around 1300$ USD, Holly S...Plus the Nord Gig bag was with it, included...I was told that they had been having for a very long time...Good for me...
Last edited by Quai34 on 04 Dec 2017, 01:06, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby Ohnepiston » 05 Dec 2017, 06:41

Johnpersson wrote:I have now bought me a C2D!! However, the pipe organ i very distorted, both through my headphones and the temporary speakers I'm using. Both the speakers and my headphones aren't the highest quality stuff on the market, but they work VERY well playing music via Spotify and the B3 organ in the Nord. How come only the pipe organ is distorted? Does anyone know?

Are all the pipe organ stops uniformly distorted? (i.e., is the Octava 4 distorted just as much as the Gedackt 8, etc, etc)?
Ohnepiston

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Postby Rob123xyz » 06 Dec 2017, 18:54

I too am about to pull the trigger on a C2D and MIDI pedalboard. I have an interest in Jazz, Blues and especially classical pipe organ. Going back decades, I pondered/fantasized about putting together a pipe organ practice setup: two MIDI keyboard manuals and a pedalboard all hooked up to a couple of rack samplers. The price for a makeshift setup was rather high. The price for an Allen or other ready-made digital pipe organ was even higher. The pedalboard was the most expensive piece for many years, with a quality board going for many thousands of dollars. So I held off.

But now, things have changed. The C2D appears to offer credible voices and a credible dual manual keyboard—at a very reasonable price. And you can get a decent pedalboard for under two grand (or so I perceive). What would have cost me probably ten grand in the 1980’s (in today’s dollars) and been a veritable kluge, would today cost me maybe less than half that, and be a rather elegant setup (comparatively).

I have a bunch of guitars and basses sitting around that I rarely play, and am pondering selling/trading toward a C2D and pedalboard. But then I saw the thread about Nord maybe having an upgrade (C3?) secretly on the drawing board: maybe with pistons and/or motorized drawbars, and maybe other pipe-friendly features (another volume pedal jack?) and I wonder should I hold off. I appreciate the discussions in this user forum.
Last edited by Rob123xyz on 08 Dec 2017, 00:55, edited 2 times in total.
Rob123xyz

Postby tacitus » 11 Dec 2017, 13:15

I must be an organ geek as I got to the end of the original post. I agree with pretty much all of that, and it is a great practice organ, effectively thrown in for free with the Hammond and Vox organs (and the Farfisa for the two guys who wanted that). That said, I’ve used it live and, just like using a Hammond clone, 99.something% of people don’t know the difference. I use PA rather than hi-if speakers, with sub and satellites, and once in a church acoustic, some of the sounds that sound a bit crummy on headphones sound more natural (this is in a 13th century village church in England). But of course, the times I need the trumpet solo are few, and after the few basic stops on the church’s own organ, it’s bracing in a medicinal sort of way (small doses work best). I’ve not run into polyphony problems, but tend to use it as a baroque organ, not a romantic one.

Overall, I think you get an organ like most real ones, where there are nearly always a couple of stops that don’t get used much, for any sort of reason but often because they go badly out of tune, or they’re too loud to integrate in most registrations.

My next project is to get a worship band together, and I’ll probably be in Hammond mode for that. But nice to know a touch of a button brings back the pipe sounds. Or I might use a piano module...

The few organists I’ve talked to about the Nord have decided it doesn’t work before they’ve tried it themselves, but when you can actually carry the thing one-handed, and get it and its speakers in a small car, they are rather missing the point!
tacitus

Postby Johnpersson » 17 Dec 2017, 13:58

Ohnepiston wrote:
Johnpersson wrote:I have now bought me a C2D!! However, the pipe organ i very distorted, both through my headphones and the temporary speakers I'm using. Both the speakers and my headphones aren't the highest quality stuff on the market, but they work VERY well playing music via Spotify and the B3 organ in the Nord. How come only the pipe organ is distorted? Does anyone know?

Are all the pipe organ stops uniformly distorted? (i.e., is the Octava 4 distorted just as much as the Gedackt 8, etc, etc)?

Actually it's pretty much only the 8' stops (mostly flutes, but principals and 4' flutes are also a little distorted at times...) And whenever I play more than one note in the pedals. The distortion is like a flickering sound, and it sounds just like it's my speakers who cant handle the samples ALTHOUGH they work fine with hauptwerk + the distortion is there no matter at what volume I play....
Johnpersson

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Postby Ohnepiston » 19 Dec 2017, 22:31

Based on the distortion you've described --- mediocre speakers but they work fine with Hauptwerk, only the sampled pipe organ seems affected (i.e. NOT the B3/Vox/Farfisa emulations) and the distortion happening at any volume --- I'm out of ideas.

In cases of unwanted distortion I always check speakers, cables, and connections; then I rule out electrical interference (ground loops, etc) --- after that, the fix isn't usually something I can do on my own.
Ohnepiston

Previous

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum