Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

Is this possible?

Postby Pidcin » 15 Dec 2017, 21:29

I was told by someone on the Korg forum that it’s possible to take one of their HD1 samples from the Kronos and have it converted to be able to play through the Nord stage 3.

Is this possible? Because I’m about to purchase a Korg Kronos simply for their HD1 library for realistic strings, brass , and ethnic instruments

Please advise
Pidcin

Is this possible?

Sponsor

Re: Is this possible?

Postby kbrkr » 15 Dec 2017, 21:35

Sure, you just have to sample it using a sampler and then create a Nord Sample in the Nord Sample Editor. OR, you can use a Translator to translate a Korg KMP file into a wave and then import into the Nord sample editor; pick your poison.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Pidcin » 15 Dec 2017, 21:45

Om fricken sweet god of synth praise the lord .

I was literally going to buy a Korg Kronos for this .

I’ll still have to get my hands on one , and buy the sounds , because the stock ones aren’t as good as their library but darn I’m glad I dodged that bullet . Tbh the Korg stuff sounds like cheap Chinese food that gives you diarrhea. It just sounds too polished and is missing a soul in almost every sound. For me , I’ll stick with my DSI prophet 6 and OB6 for analog synth , for digital synth layers , the lead A1 Nails it , AP and EP from Nord as well as organ . My sub 37 moog for moog related sounds and I’ll take the one damn good thing Korg ever had , their HD1 samples and put that in my Nord .

Thank you so much. I’m so happy
Pidcin

Postby Pidcin » 15 Dec 2017, 21:48

Wait a minute... if I sample it in, do you think I can get all the natural sounding nuances of the patch? Or will it sound different ? Noticeably different ?
Pidcin

Postby cgrafx » 15 Dec 2017, 23:08

Pidcin wrote:Wait a minute... if I sample it in, do you think I can get all the natural sounding nuances of the patch? Or will it sound different ? Noticeably different ?

If they are doing any kind of keyboard sensing for multi-sample control or grace-note recognition you won't get any of that. Only the basics of the sound played back as a sample.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Pidcin » 16 Dec 2017, 01:55

cgrafx wrote:
Pidcin wrote:Wait a minute... if I sample it in, do you think I can get all the natural sounding nuances of the patch? Or will it sound different ? Noticeably different ?

If they are doing any kind of keyboard sensing for multi-sample control or grace-note recognition you won't get any of that. Only the basics of the sound played back as a sample.

Good to know.
Do you know of any downloadable content made by Nord that has brass and strings and other instruments that are on par with the Kronos ?
Pidcin

Postby cgrafx » 16 Dec 2017, 02:34

I'm not familiar enough with the Kronos or the Stage 3 to really give any opinion on this.

I have a NE5 and I wouldn't say the strings or horns are spectacular. Strings are decent. Horns are minimal as the NE5 doesn't have anything resembling a synth engine in it. I expect there would be a lot more that could be done with the Stage 3 with after touch and a full synth engine at your disposal.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Pidcin » 16 Dec 2017, 03:12

cgrafx wrote:I'm not familiar enough with the Kronos or the Stage 3 to really give any opinion on this.

I have a NE5 and I wouldn't say the strings or horns are spectacular. Strings are decent. Horns are minimal as the NE5 doesn't have anything resembling a synth engine in it. I expect there would be a lot more that could be done with the Stage 3 with after touch and a full synth engine at your disposal.

Some things to compare it to

https://youtu.be/b7S3KocL66c

https://youtu.be/zyT8uV5UFlg

https://youtu.be/1l3Uenp6wrA
Pidcin

Postby analogika » 16 Dec 2017, 03:42

There is no way - absolutely no way - to get a Nord to sound like the complex orchestral patches of the Kronos. Having played a Kronos for a year, those patches - and the RH3 weighted keyboard - were the only things I really liked about the Kronos. The orchestral patches alone are worth the purchase, if you need that.

I found the pianos okay, and the electric pianos didn’t touch me at all. Hated the synths and the organ. Absolutely DESPISED the interface. When I had to rebuild the backline after the guy who owned the Kronos dropped out of the project, I opted for Mainstage instead. That doesn’t really kick me in the gut, either, but at least the interface is from Apple, so I’m not hating that, and I’m WAY faster at getting what I need.

The Nord is far more limited than Kronos or Mainstage, but I fall in love with the instrument all over again every day.

Everything about the Stage 3 inspires me in a way the Kronos never did, and Mainstage doesn’t.
Last edited by analogika on 16 Dec 2017, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Jonnie Cache
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Is this possible?

Postby Jonnie Cache » 16 Dec 2017, 14:52

analogika wrote:The Nord is far more limited than Kronos or Mainstage, but I fall in love with the instrument all over again every day.

Everything about the Stage 3 inspires me in a way the Kronos never did, and Mainstage doesn’t.

I totally agree!

To me, the Nord Stage 3 is like a Moog. It is a musical instrument. It is not intended to be a do-it-all thingamabob. What it does, it does extremely well. The strings and brass are not intended to be 100% realistic. I have 0 doubt that if Nord ever intended to do realistic strings/brass, it could absolutely provide that. But instead, Nord gives us something musical, something inspirational, something tactile and emotional, something we can connect with. Then, if you need more/different, you can supplement with a separate box/board/VST.

Watch this... this is how I feel about my Nord...

https://youtu.be/zAGtlgwFdhM
Last edited by Jonnie Cache on 16 Dec 2017, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Jonnie Cache

Return to Nord Stage 3 Programs (*.ns3p files)