All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Troubleshooting Audio Quality via Interface

Postby Apollo64 » 29 Nov 2017, 17:15

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to Nord. I love my new Stage 2 EX, but one thing I've been frustrated with is when I want to play it through my studio monitors; I'm not getting great audio quality. At first I thought this might have been the interface I had with my computer. It was a TC Electronic Impact Twin but I recently replaced that with something higher quality - an Apollo Twin Duo Mk2. I don't understand how the audio quality is degraded so much in comparison to playing the Nord with my headphones vs. using the Ch1 out to an interface. It's really no different than with the TC Electronic. I've used the Nord at some live gigs before where I've plugged into the house mixer and it sounds great coming off the monitors. I've thought "Maybe it's just because I'm in a larger environment and they have bigger monitors than what I have in my studio?" But even if I connect my same headphones to the jack of the interface it's so much less clear than directly into the Nord's headphone jack. It doesn't make sense to me why this should be such a lousy signal. I get a better sound if I just connect the MIDI USB and play virtual instruments but I want to play the Nord sounds. Any tips/suggestions to help me understand this and fix it?
Apollo64

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Troubleshooting Audio Quality via Interface

Sponsor

Re: Troubleshooting Audio Quality via Interface

Postby cphollis » 29 Nov 2017, 20:48

One suggestion would be to back off on your input levels to the audio interface. Many are intended for mic level inputs vs. hot line levels coming off the Nord. This would cause the sound to distort and saturate.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Apollo64 » 30 Nov 2017, 06:32

Yes, I have experimented with that, but it has not improved anything. I have the output from the Nord going into a Line level input on the interface. It's not that there's distortion, it just lacks clarity and presence. Like the quality of the sound is cut in half.
Apollo64

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby cgrafx » 30 Nov 2017, 07:50

are you running in stereo?

if so, have you panned the channels left and right so you are not summing both channels to mono?
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 13 Dec 2017, 22:55

^ what he said. Make sure to pan channels 1 and 2 hard left and right. Interfaces usually have them all centered.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby gakker_prod » 22 Sep 2020, 16:08

Did it work?
gakker_prod

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby JohnT » 22 Sep 2020, 19:56

gakker_prod wrote:Did it work?

It must have, he hasn't followed up that post in three years.
Current rig: Nord Electro SW4, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000, QSC K8.2, QSC K10.2, Yamaha HS80M, Auratones, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Focusrite Saphire Pro 40, MOTU MicroLite, Samsung Servo 120a, Sony MDR 7506 & MDR 7509HD, Sennheiser HD-650
JohnT

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby vh4781 » 28 Sep 2020, 23:53

I created a very similar post just recently about white noise and its exactly what the original post here describes. no problems on any instrument besides the electro with noise
vh4781

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Return to Accessories and Amplification