General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Postby robbieuswain » 13 Dec 2017, 12:48

reposted -
Last edited by robbieuswain on 13 Dec 2017, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.
robbieuswain

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 OS 1.28 update

Postby Jonnie Cache » 13 Dec 2017, 14:20

Murphy wrote:
baekgaard wrote:The NS3 is a complex product. There are many parts (also in sw) and interworking between them can be difficult to get right sometimes. Nord is not, in my mind, "in an infantile stage" -- they have chosen to give us very frequent releases, and the risk is that some errors may more easily creep in unnoticed. I prefer that to very infrequent releases. If you don't like that, just wait a week before you upgrade to see if any errors have crept in.

I agree that regressions are not nice, and should not happen, but in all honesty, we've actually seen only very few of these -- instead we have been seeing a steady steam of bug fixes and improvements (mostly) on an almost bi-weekly schedule or thereabout.

YMMV.

I strongly agree with your points and they will get it right. I wish they would communicate more frequently on a regular basis, especially when their schedules slip. But, all in all, Nord ships updates at a regular pace with solid improvements that almost always take the product forward. Occasionally the updates take a step backward. If you stop and think about it, how many other keyboard companies are constantly and iteratively making their products much better with new features? Love my non-Nord products, but good luck trying to get new features on them. Couldn't recommend Nord more. They set a high bar.

And what other company adds new features and NEW INSTRUMENTS for free? None that I’m aware of.
Jonnie Cache

Postby Johann 2 » 14 Dec 2017, 19:42

I have no understanding for this bug and the forgiving comments : a working Volume control is a basic function to use such a device. Introducing the NS 3 with such a malfunction is already bad enough , but repeating it ?? SW testing at Nord is just not acceptable.
Also : when you submit a technical ticket to Nord directly you even get no answer .!!?????
Johann 2

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby alcools » 14 Dec 2017, 20:20

And what other company adds new features and NEW INSTRUMENTS for free? None that I’m aware of.

For those I know: Acces (virus ti: news sound and features), DSI (new features).
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
alcools

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby anotherscott » 14 Dec 2017, 20:44

Yeah, Nord may lead here, but they are not alone. Korg, Yamaha, Roland have all offered significant functional upgrades and/or new sound libraries for some of their boards.
anotherscott

Postby Ottomatic » 14 Dec 2017, 23:38

Johann 2 wrote:Hi

Today I updated my Stage 3 compact 73 to the new OS 1.28. After this the volume/swell pedal only works for the Organ Parts. Other sounds , especially piano's , are randomly no more controlled.
This problem already exists in earlier OS and was corrected with OS 1.22 . No again it is there.
Anybody has the same problem? Can I downgrade to OS 1.26 , which works just fine!
Does somebody still have this OS on his computer and send it to me ?

Johann 2

Yes, I discovered the same problem today. I assumed it was an issue with 1.28, but I'm glad it was verified. (I'm on my second NS3. Had to return the first due to memory problems. So I panic now whenever something goes wrong.) Thanks for posting this.

Ottomatic
Ottomatic

Postby baekgaard » 14 Dec 2017, 23:51

Johann 2 wrote:I have no understanding for this bug and the forgiving comments : a working Volume control is a basic function to use such a device. Introducing the NS 3 with such a malfunction is already bad enough , but repeating it ?? SW testing at Nord is just not acceptable.

In SW development a recurring error like this is called a regression, and may happen when you merge different branches preparing for a release; Nord are certainly not the first ones to release SW with bugs. Also, if you don't do branches, then it's difficult to work on multiple things at the same time, which you typically want.

But we don't actually know if this is an old bug that has resurfaced, or something new that has crept it.

Further, releasing SW is a trade-off between taking time to testing "thoroughly" or "enough" and releasing new features.

For the most part, I prefer the way Nord is doing it, with a steady stream of releases and quick fixes.

I'm not sure if this helps you better understand the process behind SW development and some of the trade-offs involved (you said you have no understanding for it)?

As for this being an essential or basic function: It certainly isn't for me, even though I use pedals with my Nord for morph and swell. I don't use the volume pedal at all -- but of course others need it and it should work.

If you need it, then go back to 1.26, or wait for the next release. They tend to come out quite frequently, and often incorporates bugfixes like this one.

Also : when you submit a technical ticket to Nord directly you even get no answer .!!?????

Not sure what you mean, but in my experience Nord responds to new bugs reported, or specific problems with your board.

Oh, by the way -- speaking of bugs and SW -- the link you have in your signature leads to a page that has an incorrect SSL certificate, so you can only see the link if you agree to proceed to an unsafe page. If it is meant to have people look at your music, then maybe some would not actually see the information you provide because their browser warns them to go there. You can either fix the certificate or change the link so that it's not HTTPS but HTTP.
Last edited by baekgaard on 15 Dec 2017, 00:22, edited 2 times in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 15 Dec 2017, 02:23

Johann 2 wrote:I have no understanding for this bug and the forgiving comments : a working Volume control is a basic function to use such a device. Introducing the NS 3 with such a malfunction is already bad enough , but repeating it ?? SW testing at Nord is just not acceptable.

When you submit feedback via the Nord site, it is sent to the local distributor. It is up to them to respond, pass it on, or ignore it.

I have received a positive response to a feature suggestion for the Stage 3 (they wrote they considered it a valuable suggestion and would pass it on), and the bug reports I’ve made were not responded to. Whether this means that they were known issues, or whether they were just passed on to the mothership, I do not know. But they do respond on occasion.

It is unrealistic to expect a written response to every bug report, especially if the bug is already known and tracked down and just waiting to be fixed.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby DJKeys » 15 Dec 2017, 02:31

I have always received an answer to any support request I have made.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby Johann 2 » 06 Jan 2018, 11:22

baekgaard wrote:

In SW development a recurring error like this is called a regression, and may happen when you merge different branches preparing for a release; Nord are certainly not the first ones to release SW with bugs. Also, if you don't do branches, then it's difficult to work on multiple things at the same time, which you typically want.

But we don't actually know if this is an old bug that has resurfaced, or something new that has crept it.

Further, releasing SW is a trade-off between taking time to testing "thoroughly" or "enough" and releasing new features.

For the most part, I prefer the way Nord is doing it, with a steady stream of releases and quick fixes.

I'm not sure if this helps you better understand the process behind SW development and some of the trade-offs involved (you said you have no understanding for it)?

As for this being an essential or basic function: It certainly isn't for me, even though I use pedals with my Nord for morph and swell. I don't use the volume pedal at all -- but of course others need it and it should work.

If you need it, then go back to 1.26, or wait for the next release. They tend to come out quite frequently, and often incorporates bugfixes like this one.

Not sure what you mean, but in my experience Nord responds to new bugs reported, or specific problems with your board.

Oh, by the way -- speaking of bugs and SW -- the link you have in your signature leads to a page that has an incorrect SSL certificate, so you can only see the link if you agree to proceed to an unsafe page. If it is meant to have people look at your music, then maybe some would not actually see the information you provide because their browser warns them to go there. You can either fix the certificate or change the link so that it's not HTTPS but HTTP.

...willl do , thanks
Johann 2

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum