General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS3 polyphony

Postby MrTobbe » 11 Dec 2017, 02:11

Mr_-G- wrote:Hi yes, Audacity. In the track window, there is a pull down menu that says "Audio Track" where you can choose 'spectrogram' instead of "waveform".

Ah! I have actually used this in the past... :) I had just forgotten where to find it - thanks!

I will try to make a new test with the Stage 3 some time in the following week, and I think I also figured out a way to perform this test using stereo samples instead of sine waves: I figure that by filtering the sample with a 24 dB filter and appropriate keyboard tracking, the sample (string, pad whatever) will be quite sine like, and will show as pretty clear base frequencies on the spectrogram. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it can work.

Why do I want to do this? This would prove if stereo samples have the as much polyphony as simple waves. I think they do, but it would be interesting to have some hard facts. :)

Nord Stage 3 sw73
Viscount KeyB Legend Live
Leslie 3300
Korg M3-88, fully expanded
Hammond E112
and a lot more stuff...
MrTobbe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Boatguy » 22 Jan 2018, 01:24

The Piano 3 specs for polyphony are 60/40 (stereo/mono) which doesn't quite make sense. In any case, a friend of mine was over who's an accomplished classical pianist. He ripped into some Rachmaninov and in short order the Piano 3 sounded pretty awful. And it's worth noting that all the demo's of the Piano are pretty slow paced in terms of active voices. So this begs a couple of questions for my simple mind.

1) What's the polyphony failure mode? What happens when it runs out of voices?

2) The NS3 claims 120 voices for the piano section. Has anybody out there played both and can they notice a difference?
Nord Stage 4
Previously Nord Piano 3
Boatguy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby anotherscott » 22 Jan 2018, 02:05

Boatguy wrote:
1) What's the polyphony failure mode? What happens when it runs out of voices?

2) The NS3 claims 120 voices for the piano section. Has anybody out there played both and can they notice a difference?

1. previously played notes will drop out.

2. in theory, you'd be able to notice a difference if you played so many notes that older held notes started dropping out. In practice, even that can sometimes be hard to hear.
anotherscott

Postby kbrkr » 22 Jan 2018, 04:27

LudovicVDP wrote:Stereo?
2 stereo samples = 4 polyphony per note.

On the NS3, how do you create samples with R & L stereo? The Motif and the Korg allow for Multi-samples with R & L, not so on the Nord sample editor.
Last edited by kbrkr on 22 Jan 2018, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby alcools » 22 Jan 2018, 21:14

You can use srereo samples with the Nord sample manager. I don't undestand what you want to explain.
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
alcools

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum