All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Best FX Boxes?

Postby lawman » 06 Dec 2017, 12:07

I need to add one or two good FX boxes (stereo in/stereo out) to my rig and would appreciate any advice as to which ones I should invest in. I play an NP3 through a Radial Duplex (thanks, guys, for THAT advice!), then into a pair of TT08A's. I also run a Hammond XK-3c.
My performing days are behind me but I spend a lot of time with these guys (and my luscious Steinway B). Now I want to upgrade my sonic wonderfulness and would like to know what stereo FX devices you all would recommend. I might run the NP3 through both devices, or the Hammond through both, or maybe one board through one and the other through the other box. I'm thinking about a Strymon Big Sky reverb (or its little brother the Blue Sky) and maybe their Mobius mod box or Orbit flanger. Alternatively, I'm also looking at the Eventide Space reverb and ModFactor, but their controls seem less user friendly. The Eventide H9 is also a possibility, but it looks like I would practically have to be a computer engineer to use it - it has very few identifiable controls on the outside. [I should add here that the reverb on both of my instruments is limited and unsatisfactory and the phasers and flanger on the NP3 are toys.] What other products should I be looking at to step up my game? Your insights would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by lawman on 06 Dec 2017, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
lawman

Best FX Boxes?

Sponsor

Re: Best FX Boxes?

Postby LudovicVDP » 06 Dec 2017, 16:24

I'm the happy owner of a BigSky reverb.
Breathtaking. Can radically change your sound. My NL2ex likes it a lot. :-)
I don't know what kind of reverb you're looking for. If it's only a basic room reverb for piano sounds, you'll end up using only a part of the Strymon possibilities. (Not saying it's not worth it ...) But if you want your piano not to sound like a piano anymore, this thing can make it happen ;-)
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Re: Best FX Boxes?

Postby cphollis » 06 Dec 2017, 17:13

Not a reverb, but the Vent II is quite awesome in the leslie sim department.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Accessories and Amplification