General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Aftertouch problem on one key- stage 3 compact

Postby Gardenparty » 03 Dec 2017, 06:22

I absolutely adore my new stage 3 compact. I've not had a ton of time to play it since receiving it about two weeks ago. I just noticed something a little troubling though- the G5 key seems to take waaaayyyyy more pressure to activate Aftertouch than any other key, and when it does the effect is significantly more subtle than the other keys. I just updated to 1.26, and it sure seems to have gotten a little bit better, but that one key still lags behind all of the rest relatively. Anyone else experience something like this?
Gardenparty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Aftertouch problem on one key- stage 3 compact

Sponsor

Re: Aftertouch problem on one key- stage 3 compact

Postby Gardenparty » 03 Dec 2017, 06:54

I just managed to put together a little experiment- I've got a basic init synth patch isolated, nothing else going on but the saw wave. I set the level at all the way off, and then programmed the aftertouch to change level to all the way up. It basically turned the led ring around the synth level into a pressure meter, if my understanding is correct. Going across the entire keyboard I wasn't super impressed with the consistency of the sensors, but they were all at least in the same ballpark and capable of maxing out theled ring without any real exertion. Except for G5. That little fella pretty much capped out at a hair past halfway. I really hope this isn't mechanical. It seems mechanical. I waited so long with this thing on back order. Please, someone tell me it might not be mechanical.
Gardenparty

Postby Copia » 03 Dec 2017, 07:43

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your instrument's G5. I haven't noticed inconsistencies on mine, but I don't lean too extensively on aftertouch. In general, though, I find the aftertouch considerably more responsive and therefore slightly nicer on the NS3 Compact than the NS3 88. I love my 88, but the Compact feels easier to press to engage aftertouch to me. I wish I could help you, because having one note not follow the scale of the others would be a nuisance. I hope you're able to find an easy solution.
Copia

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby baekgaard » 03 Dec 2017, 14:59

As you probably know, aftertouch is global (i.e. any key you press hard will affect all playing notes equally), so though I agree that it should be quite consistent from key to key, and that it could be a real problem, it must be a mechanical problem. Try to hold down some other key (you may even exclude it from the zone, so that it doesn't play/plays not too loud) while you hit G5 and play it and activate aftertouch via the other key.

Otherwise, I guess this would turn out to be an issue when you play solos and tend to land on a single G5 and want to activate some modulation controlled by aftertouch on that particular key?
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gardenparty » 03 Dec 2017, 16:42

Thanks guys, I will check things with the zone idea- Activating after touch with a silent key in a different zone. It really is about landing on that key with a solo and wanting modulation. Also the idea of spending as much as we do on these things and wanting it to work right.

I was holding out hope that it might be a firmware fixable issue with the curve of that particular key, if others were experiencing it. I’ll be calling musiciansfriend when they open, but am just sad to wait again. They’re on backorder until after Christmas.
Gardenparty

Postby Jo Osantos1 » 04 Dec 2017, 00:56

Any update on this? is really a hadware problem?
Jo Osantos1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gardenparty » 04 Dec 2017, 05:44

It really seems to be a hardware issue, being just that key. Like they sensor isn’t reading properly. I ordered a replacement Stage 3 on backorder from musiciansfriend while I wait to hear back from Nord. I contacted them with the same descriptions I gave you guys. If they can fix it, hardware or firmware- great, I’ll cancel the reservation. If they say to return it, at least I’ve got my replacement reservation already in place.
Gardenparty

Postby Flavio » 04 Dec 2017, 12:35

i got my ns3 compact 2 weeks ago. comes with os v1.22 and the aftertouch is fine it’s not affected.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro
Flavio

Postby cphollis » 05 Dec 2017, 03:55

Yeah, despite all the bitching and moaning on this forum, my new Nord Stage 3 Compact arrived today.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Nord Stage Forum