Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: 5D - activating memory ability

Postby boki108 » 30 Sep 2017, 16:15

Got Nord piano 3 a couple of days ago. Took me 15 minutes to figure this out. Not intuitive at all, and the instructions in the manual don't say how to turn it off, so I guess you have to read the whole manual from the beginning in order to be able to use Nord. I don't think I am the only one who doesn't read the whole manual before jumping on the new gadget. ...So, shift + system to get to memory protection, and then Value + turn prog/menu knob to set it to off. How difficult is to write this in the manual?
boki108

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Sponsor

Postby Mr_-G- » 30 Sep 2017, 18:24

Well as you found out, yes, you need to read the manual to be able to exploit all the functions.
It suggests so on page 2, first line: " 1) Read these instructions"
The memory off (which I presume it is what you were referring to is also in the manual, page 6:

"MEMORY PROTECTION
When the Nord Piano 3 is shipped, its memory is protected to avoid any accidental overwriting of the factory Pro-
grams. This also prevents any inadvertent use of the organize functions. To unlock the memory, enter the
SYSTEM menu and set “Memory Protection” to off. if necessary, see the “Menus” chapter on
page 15 for further instructions."

By that page you would have also read page 4, which explains how the Shift button works.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
boki108
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby analogika » 30 Sep 2017, 19:33

See it as a safety feature designed to protect the device from being made unplayable by users mucking about without having read the most basic parts of the manual. :)
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by 2 members, including:
Arjan PMr_-G-
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Quai34 » 01 Oct 2017, 00:13

I don't know if I'm the only one but I have never touched any keyboards without reading the all manual, clearly, with care and at least all the system function....Then, when it comes to using the new keyboard/electronic device, I still redo it, step by step with the manual close to me....Then only, I consider that I have already SEEN/tried al the menu/system/shift functions and then, go to programmation....If during this step, I cannot remember when I have SEEN that (sorry, I just put seen in capital because it's how I remember it, I have I front of my eyes the page and the "shape" of the page, if the info I'm looking for is on the right side of the page or the bottom etc....), then I add some note in the manual like, go to page 1, press shift plus etc....
Ok, I know, it could be a two much "clinical/scientific approach" but it works well for me....
Note that I was not like that at all when I was young, I was too much impulsive and I have lost so many great patches or scores (when you had to write them manually....) in doing the wrong thing that, with experience now, this is how I do it...
I very few ask on the forum about "how to do this", most of the time, I ask "I've seen that in the manual, you have to do kind of press shift something but cannot remember or find it"....So it doesn't work at 100%...
Sure, the inconvenient is that it takes time and during this time, I don't play/practice/ enjoy....But when it comes to setting up anything on my keys, I can be focus on music only..... So, I catch up time at that moment and with less frustrations.
Last edited by Quai34 on 01 Oct 2017, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
be lee vit
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Ledbetter » 01 Oct 2017, 22:58

After my assumptions about a few products from various manufacturers turned out to be incorrect, I have started reading manuals BEFORE I buy.
Last edited by Ledbetter on 01 Oct 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby boki108 » 01 Dec 2017, 01:31

I have owned probably over 20 keyboards in my life, and I thought there would be some pattern to organize buttons on them, but no, they had to re-invent things and be different, so yeah of course, the manual...
boki108

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum