General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 layers

Postby durwood » 28 Nov 2017, 00:19

I plan to buy a NS3. I now have an Electro 3 that I use only for organ. I play in a duo and split my current Motif ES8 88 key at C3. I play bass on the left hand and layer piano, horns, strings on the right with an expression pedal to bring them in or out. My question is...If I split the NS3 at C3, how many layers can I stack on the right side and can I use an expression pedal in the same way???

Thanks!!!

durwoodmartin@msn.com
durwood

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Nord Stage 3 layers

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 layers

Postby analogika » 28 Nov 2017, 00:46

Every program has two layers - Slot A and Slot B.

Each of those slots has one each of organ, piano, and synth engines, so six engines total (plus an „extern“ section per panel to control external synth modules).

You can layer and split those six engines plus two external as you see fit across four split areas.

You can assign the pedal to morph the volumes of the individual engines - e.g. set synth A at 100% and synth B at zero. In Slot A, press and hold the pedal morph button and turn the synth volume down to 0%. Switch to Slot B and hold the pedal morph button while twisting the volume knob from 0 to 100%.
The pedal will now fade between the synth sound in slot A and the synth sound in Slot B.
Last edited by analogika on 28 Nov 2017, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
durwood
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 28 Nov 2017, 12:50

In addition to the detailed answer @analogika gave, just this: If you play left-hand bass using internal NS3 sounds, you need one of the two synth instruments to do so. You can then use the other synth instrument on top of the piano instrument(s) for right hand.

It means there is no way (I can come up with) where you can play left hand bass and have piano and both strings and horn right hand; you can then only have piano and strings or piano and horn.

You still then have two unused organs; you may be able to use them creatively for mixing in with the strings to create a pad-like effect if you desire so.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
durwood
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 28 Nov 2017, 14:14

baekgaard wrote:It means there is no way (I can come up with) where you can play left hand bass and have piano and both strings and horn right hand; you can then only have piano and strings or piano and horn.

Basically yes. But I think it's also worth remembering that there's an EXT section, and if you've got an iPhone/iPad, that could provide an additional layerable/splittable sound (i.e. use that for your LH bass sound, or a string sound, etc.). Another possibility could be to use a Rhodes sound for LH bass (which is literally what Ray Manzarek did with the Doors).

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
durwood
anotherscott

Return to Nord Stage Forum