Arpeggios from Korg Kronos to Nordstage 3

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
stevenluk

Arpeggios from Korg Kronos to Nordstage 3

Post by stevenluk »

Hello everybody,

I want to buy the Nordstage 3, BUT current, I've the Korg Kronos and it's really important to me, to transmit my programmed arpeggios, that I have made with Kronos and the Karma function to the Nordstage 3.
Example: I play a whole song with an arpeggio and I just tap the keys (latch function) to the change the chords. How can I transmit now my arpeggios to the nordstage so that I can play them just like on the Kronos??

Do I first record the arpeggios in the DAW as a wave and all chord separatly?? And the next steps??? If you have an detailed description for the single steps, I would be very grateful!!

For me it's a reason to buy the Nordstage 3 or not!

Many thanxx!!
Steve
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Arpeggios from Korg Kronos to Nordstage 3

Post by maxpiano »

If you use arpeggios so much I don't think the NS3 can be a good replacement, better you think twice...

In theory you can sample, your arpeggios as .wav, then create a .nsmp (Nord sample) using the Nord Sound Editor, assign each arpeggio to a key and Loop it, the use the sample in the NS3 in Mono mode with Hold enabled but... it is just a workaround and it is absolutely not comlarable to doing teh same on the Kronos.

Bottom line: NS3 is an advanced Stage Piano, not a workstation so it cannot fully replace those functionalities.
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Nov 2017, 11:10, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
stevenluk
alcools
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Post by alcools »

maxpiano wrote:(...) assign each arpeggio to a key and Loop it, the use the sample in the NS3 in Mono mode with Hold enabled
No need to loop it, just use the NS3 Arpegiator.
You need to use sample because the NS3 arpegator is monophonic (no chords). I would appreciate an update for this, but it's the same limitation with all Nord keyboards.
These users thanked the author alcools for the post:
stevenluk
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

Also, there is no way to program a specific arpeggio sequence - it’s only in order up or down, or random.

The Nord's limitations are by design, as they make the machine incredibly simple and quick to program and keep the interface more accessible than any other non-(virtual-)analog machine I’ve ever used.

But a Kronos is simply a different class of device. If you need the flexibility of the Karma engine for your job, the Nord is probably not an option for you, sadly.
These users thanked the author analogika for the post:
stevenluk
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

alcools wrote:
maxpiano wrote:(...) assign each arpeggio to a key and Loop it, the use the sample in the NS3 in Mono mode with Hold enabled
No need to loop it, just use the NS3 Arpegiator.
You need to use sample because the NS3 arpegator is monophonic (no chords). I would appreciate an update for this, but it's the same limitation with all Nord keyboards.
Not sure that will work if, as the OP said, he is thinking to sample the whole arpeggio phrase in a .wav using a DAW; unless you can perfectly sync the NS3 arpeggiator with the duration of the .wav, if I am not missing something :roll:
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Nov 2017, 13:42, edited 2 times in total.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Post by kbrkr »

Why can't you assign an Arp output from the Kronos to a midi channel and send it to the Nord?7
These users thanked the author kbrkr for the post:
stevenluk
stevenluk

Post by stevenluk »

Hello,
Thanxx a lot to all of you for your quick responses!
Of course I know the philosophy of the Nordstage and Kronos. I've bought recently a Electro 5. The workflow ist amazing. The same thing on the NS3! and the weight of 12 kg for the HP76 is a dream. I've actually the Kronos 88 keys (24 kg)! For my current songs I need the arpeggios, one of those songs is in our country on radio, so we must play this one on stage! but in future I don't wanna work no more with arps. I want to work faster without submenus... to creating new sounds, new ideas... and for using live of course!!
But as a matter of fact, the arp on the NS3 is kept very simple! :sad:

Puhhh, not easy for a decision... and first I must sold my Kronos :?
Last edited by stevenluk on 26 Nov 2017, 23:01, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

What about using a PC/Mac (or even an iPad) for the arpeggios (sampled in .wav and played by some software sampler) and triggering them using the Extern Menu of the Nord Stage?

Or, if the arpeggios per song are not so many and you don't like using a computer, you may use a small sample player like the Akai MPx8
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
stevenluk
MrTobbe

Post by MrTobbe »

stevenluk wrote:Of course I know the philosophy of the Nordstage and Kronos. I've bought recently a Electro 5. The workflow ist amazing. The same thing on the NS3! and the weight of 12 kg for the HP76 is a dream. I've actually the Kronos 88 keys (24 kg)! For my current songs I need the arpeggios,

Puhhh, not easy for a decision... and first I must sold my Kronos :?
First of all - If you have to sell the Kronos prior getting the Stage 3, make sure you read through the NS3 manual and the key threads in this forums. Too many people here and elsewhere seem to have bought the Stage 3 expecting it to be able to do a number of things it doesn't do - like being able to you use more than two synth/sample sounds. So be sure that you can do everything you do on the Kronos before making the switch. The Stage 3 is great, but it ain't no Kronos, never will be, never have tried to be.

Anyway, back to the arpeggios - I strongly suggest that you both sample the whole arpeggio as it sounds coming from the Kronos - this is your backup, and you can then import it into the Nord if you like, but it may be a lot more convenient to use an iPad, or similar, for playback. Then also, what I think would be a better way of approaching this, is to export the arpeggio as MIDI - I'm pretty sure the Kronos can do that, if not, it probably can transmit the arp on MIDI out, so you can record it into you DAW.
Then once more - use an iPad or similar to play back the MIDI sequenced arpeggio - and the best way to do this is probably to use the Dual KB function in the Stage 3, so you can assign Synth B to it's own midi channel, without assigning it to the internal keyboard. Then when the MIDI sequence is playing, you can still tweak Synth B, while still playing other sounds on the keyboard.
These users thanked the author MrTobbe for the post:
stevenluk
[hr]Nord Stage 3 sw73
Viscount KeyB Legend Live
Leslie 3300
Korg M3-88, fully expanded
Hammond E112
and a lot more stuff...
stevenluk

Post by stevenluk »

Thanxx Mr Tobbe and Maxpiano for your suggestions! I will make my thoughts about it!
I've tested the NS3 for a few hours. Of course the NS cannot replace the Kronos. On the other side, I don't work with all the features of the Kronos.
We will see:-)
Steve