Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Piano 2 Advice

Postby teletext45 » 05 Oct 2017, 19:08

HI All, I'm a classical pianist and my current electric piano has given up the ghost. With this in mind I'm looking at a replacement. I'm interested in a Nord due to array of historical instruments including the harpischords.

Unfortunately I don't quite have a budget for the Piano 3 but have been looking at a piano 2. Can you advise if these are compatible with all the current sounds available on the website? As I don't want to get one and it become defunct quickly. Also how does the piano 3 fair as a piano for a pianist? Or is it more of a stage instrument?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Last edited by teletext45 on 05 Oct 2017, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
teletext45

Nord Piano 2 Advice

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano 2 Advice

Postby themixtape » 13 Oct 2017, 23:52

Yes, the NP2 can use the entire Nord Piano Library, and the Sample Library, too. In my opinion, well worth it. The 88-key one can be found for $1800 used, frequently. The NP2 73 is a great option to consider for weight/space... sadly they don't make a 73-key NP3.

But yeah, I dig it a lot. And it's definitely compatible. You'd be surprised just how many pianos you can fit in, with 500MB. Use the mediums. The L and XL variations sound fine but for most purposes, the Medium sized samples sound the same (at least to my ears). I've played the exact same thing using M, L and XL, changing with one button press (same piano, such as the Italian Grand or whatever)... and as long as string resonance and acoustics are set to "on", it's hard to tell the difference.
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chriscaulder.net
http://patreon.com/chriscaulder
-------------------------------------------------------
themixtape

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby themixtape » 13 Oct 2017, 23:54

I'm not a classical pianist though I appreciate it. I loved the key feel of the NP2. Some people didn't like it and prefer the feel of the NP3. These days I have a Stage 2 EX 76 and the keys are softer, but still weighted. I love the Stage 2's feel. The Electro 5 HP keybed is a bit clunky and loud.
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chriscaulder.net
http://patreon.com/chriscaulder
-------------------------------------------------------

The author themixtape was thanked by:
jdwosh
themixtape

Postby cphollis » 16 Nov 2017, 06:04

I actually have TWO Nord Piano 2s -- long story -- but I personally love the feel and the sounds. I can rip it up any night of the week. The only drawback is limited piano memory for those luscious bigger samples. I can live with the ~500MB of piano memory, but it requires making choices. Not a bad choice, really.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby mthomashow » 21 Nov 2017, 20:58

I love the action on the Nord Piano 2. However, I'm interested in upgrading to the Nord Stage 3. Depending on your location, I would happily sell you my Nord Piano 2 (it's in pristine condition) at a very reasonable price, or let you try it, unless geography prohibits such an arrangement. Please send me a private message and we an discuss this.
mthomashow

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum