All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

An Update From The Bar Band Scene

Postby cphollis » 18 Nov 2017, 07:27

A lot of folks here read my blog posts, so I'd thought I share this most recent one:

http://chucksblog.typepad.com/late_bloo ... ation.html

Cheers!
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

An Update From The Bar Band Scene

Sponsor

Re: An Update From The Bar Band Scene

Postby damasp » 18 Nov 2017, 08:16

Thanks for posting this. Great information!

I bought a pair of the k 8.2s and really like them also. I tbink they sound decsent, if needing to use just one, when using Amber Upright piano. Of course they are great when using both in stereo.

I recently bought a Lester K rotary sim box for my electro 3. I think it sounds better but I don't know how it compares to the Vent 2. I didn't want to spend that much though.
Nord Electro 3 73, Casio PX-5s, Yamaha SY85, 2 QSC K8.2s, A&H ZED10 FX Mixer, ART TubeMP preamp
damasp

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby harmonizer » 18 Nov 2017, 14:57

I am total agreement on videos not lying about how we present ourselves visually. As the guy who has to tweak the mixing board, the videos often showed me staring at the mixing board with a concerned look on my face as I thought about what mix adjustments might be needed.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Mr. Marko » 18 Nov 2017, 15:06

Where can I buy these Deeflex things?
NS4 / NS3 / NS-EX / Modular G1 / G2 / G2X / NL3
Basically Too Many Nords to Haul to a Gig
Mr. Marko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby kbrkr » 18 Nov 2017, 17:09

I enjoyed your post. Sort of group therapy for us lonely, mis-understood keyboard players!!!

Please don't try to convince me to bring a Vent II on my gigs. I don't need much convincing and you will only cause me to spend needless money and carry more stuff!!!

Every band I've been in; everyone sort of relies on the keyboard player to be the Music director. Sometimes I resist that role because of all the egos in the band and I want to get along with everyone, but as I age, I have become pretty good at managing the different personalities and keeping the peace and being tactful. In the end, the keyboard player really does need to arrange and voice the songs.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby cphollis » 21 Nov 2017, 00:43

Mr. Marko wrote:Where can I buy these Deeflex things?

Thomann
cphollis

Postby cphollis » 21 Nov 2017, 02:35

kbrkr wrote:I enjoyed your post. Sort of group therapy for us lonely, mis-understood keyboard players!!!

Please don't try to convince me to bring a Vent II on my gigs. I don't need much convincing and you will only cause me to spend needless money and carry more stuff!!!

Every band I've been in; everyone sort of relies on the keyboard player to be the Music director. Sometimes I resist that role because of all the egos in the band and I want to get along with everyone, but as I age, I have become pretty good at managing the different personalities and keeping the peace and being tactful. In the end, the keyboard player really does need to arrange and voice the songs.

Glad I could provide some comfort. My situation? Not lonely, not mis-understood -- more like I have a superpower other musos aren't aware of. So I have to show them without threatening them. Something I've learned how to do over the years. May you learn to do the same!

Funny story? This local muso -- who's quite talented -- comes up and says "Hey, you guys always sound so rich, so layered, so arranged -- what's you're secret?". I ask him "Have you ever played with a good keyboard player?" Him "No, I haven't". Me; "That's what you're hearing -- a decent keys player". He was baffled.

The deal with the Vent is simple: now I'm playing in a band (and with gear) where the difference matters. It didn't before. Now it does.

Example? Gimme Some Lovin', with its signature organ part. I've done it a bunch of times with the legacy gear, everyone was happy. Didn't suck at all.

Last night, I did it with Vent dialed in, and all the band members turned around and looked at me, like WTF? Huge, creamy sound out front.

That's the difference right there. BTW, the rest of the background and lead organ stuff sounded 20% better to my ears, but didn't prompt the reaction as with "Gimme Some Lovin'". Right situation, right gear, right move.

As far as being the music director, the lead guitarist in my band wants to assume that role. He's not good at it, nor is he especially bad at it. So I support him doing it -- as I have plenty else to do (sound guy, lighting guy, video guy, etc.) -- and instead offer up my suggestions -- which he accepts more often than not.

He has no idea how to coach a drummer for example, that's on me for some reason.

Voicing and arrangements -- all I do is make suggestions, and he incorporates them. Works for me.

Best of luck!!
Last edited by cphollis on 21 Nov 2017, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
cphollis

Return to Accessories and Amplification