General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS3 OS 1.26 is live

Postby Leonid » 17 Nov 2017, 14:38

anotherscott wrote:
Leonid wrote:1) I own nord stage 3 compact. 2) useless is firmware 1.26 as everybody on this forum moaning about that firmware 1.24 killed Dual keyboarD panel. But Nord Team ignores it completely 3) Yes, it sounds good. But to kill features everybody is using - nonsense.

So every update Nord ever comes out with for the NS3 is useless, unless it restores Dual KB panel mode?

No.

Nonsense is that they are ignoring not only this issue. Yes, they fixed something. But its much less then users are expecting. And still there are no Sample Editor.

Thats why i told that particular update is useless.
Leonid

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 17 Nov 2017, 15:00

Leonid, this sounds like looking a gift horse in the mouth. There are things in this update other people will find important. If this is what was ready, I'd say better to release than not.
anotherscott

Postby Leonid » 17 Nov 2017, 15:06

anotherscott wrote:Leonid, this sounds like looking a gift horse in the mouth. There are things in this update other people will find important. If this is what was ready, I'd say better to release than not.

It sounds like disappoiment. Without any gift horses.
Leonid

Postby baekgaard » 17 Nov 2017, 16:13

SW development often involves working on multiple branches; if some fixes (like the ones in 1.26) are ready for release, my view is that it's better to release those than wait for integration of possibly larger feature sets and thus delay small (or maybe for some: very important) bug fixes. There are countless examples of monolithic systems with long periods between releases, and even sometimes every new feature introduce many additional stability issues, etc. It looks like Nord is instead trying to stabilise and close bugs, which means the SW is maturing. Adding new features is probably also better done onto a mature base than one that has many bugs or issues.

Thus, the fact that Nord can release bug fixes in a steady stream of releases is in my book only positive. We don't know what else they are working on and what the state is of those issue, but the fixes that come out do not necessarily mean they are not also working on some other things. Fixes to be done on e.g. the organ side might impact only some parts of the SW, and when deciding to do a release, maybe that part is/was not ready yet, and hence didn't make it in time for integration, testing and release?

I can understand that there are some people that lack certain features that either was expected (Sample Editor) or has been removed (Dual KB Panel Mode), but as has been pointed out, we don't use our boards in identical ways. I don't personally use Dual KB Panel mode at all, so for me (and possibly also many others), the NS3 is working really well, and I use it daily and have had NO hiccups or problems with my board in live playing etc. And for those that have had problems with the board (not booting up, MIDI issues, ...) maybe 1.26 has fixed some of these.

So it's hardly a useless release. Why not let those that will benefit from the release enjoy it instead of being envious :-)
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Ecaroh » 17 Nov 2017, 18:07

I don't understand this ongoing whining of why didn't they do this or that or be faster... What's going on with people's patience?

Ok, I can agree that there have been quite a lot of issues (in my units as well!) and it has been surprise to me also. In my experience newly released Nords has earlier been more "completed" before but this is how it is now. Maybe NS3 has just became more complicated inside (OS) and more complication and features quite often means more possible problems. But lets face it, whining and complaining does not help much! I don't think this will fasten anything.

I have quite serious issues too but I haven't regretted a second to have it in this "first wave". Those who are afraid of purchasing it just wait and see how it develops. Problem is with those who have it already but see it so bad to feel kind of betrayed. I can live with these few issues: MIDI --> workaround is to use USB-interface, Dual KB --> I already edited my programs to meet this problem, Boot --> this is little worrying but fortunately very rare, lack of Editor --> well, something to wait ;)
Last edited by Ecaroh on 17 Nov 2017, 18:11, edited 2 times in total.

The author Ecaroh was thanked by 2 members, including:
analogikabaekgaard
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Fallboard » 17 Nov 2017, 18:38

I didn't even know about the Dual KB function until this forum. Personally this update excited me because it handles voice allocation in Synth, which is a big deal since I love piling on tons of synth layers. Also not going to call more robust midi handling useless either. We all have issues we are waiting on but I'd hope we can be patient and not drag Clavia through the mud while they have acknowledged several of these issues and continue to refine what looks to be a very complex and multi-faceted firmware. For most of us, we've only had this instrument for the last 60 days. Granted, we all paid around $4000 and would like it to work, but implying that Clavia doesn't care about it's customers or deliberately ignores them isn't going to help any of us in the end.
Nord Stage 3 Compact
2012 Steinway Model B
Kawai MP11
Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4
ASM Hydrasynth 49
Moog Matriarch
Yamaha MODx

The author Fallboard was thanked by 5 members, including:
analogikaDJKeysEcarohbaekgaardCopia
Fallboard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby NordPH » 17 Nov 2017, 19:56

analogika wrote:
Jonnie Cache wrote:Have we defined what’s wrong with the B3? I still don’t understand that one.

1. Chorus/Vibrato is broken (what should be C3 is actually C2; C3 isn’t there).

2. Percussion is broken - percussion „soft“ is WAY TOO soft, and „normal“ should both itself be louder and result in lower volume from the drawbars.

3. Key click is a little weird (though I don’t consider this an issue, some have expressed displeasure)

4. Horn/rotor balance is off; the organ doesn’t sound as full as it did on the Nord Stage 2, IMO.

Yes, you can barely hear the percussion when it´s set to soft.
If you pull the drawbars in at least 2 steps, that´s where it starts to sound familiar.
NordPH
Patch Creator

Postby Mr. Marko » 01 Dec 2017, 05:38

if the elves are on the 2 week schedule...might we see an OS update soon?
NS4 / NS3 / NS-EX / Modular G1 / G2 / G2X / NL3
Basically Too Many Nords to Haul to a Gig
Mr. Marko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby derrellpiper » 02 Dec 2017, 07:27

I've also managed very large and complex software projects. I guess it's complicated. By this point it should be obvious that we're first adopters, ready to rush into the fray for the new features. I'm still happy with my Stage 3, it's better than the Piano 3 (for me), and it's added lovely organ sounds to my studio.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby e8ndave » 03 Dec 2017, 04:58

derrellpiper wrote:I've also managed very large and complex software projects. I guess it's complicated. By this point it should be obvious that we're first adopters, ready to rush into the fray for the new features. I'm still happy with my Stage 3, it's better than the Piano 3 (for me), and it's added lovely organ sounds to my studio.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I am excited to have my Stage 3 and in general I am very pleased with it. I will be happy when I know that they are working to fix the organ but it is not a killer for me. It is a great instrument.

Was early adopter of the Yamaha Montage and went through horrible problems with it losing it's mind and randomly doing things. Still have it, don't trust it in a live setting. Their updates are measured in months and they break as many things as they fix. Nord is far superior releasing more quickly, but they are a lot smaller more agile company.

Love my Nords and wouldn't trade them for anything!
-Dave
[Nord Stage 3] [Nord Lead A1] [Novation Peak 8] [Deluge] [Cobalt8M] [Base Station II] [PolyBrute] [Subsequent 37]

The author e8ndave was thanked by 2 members, including:
analogikaObwanz
e8ndave

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum