All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Gear Alert: new QSC K8.2

Postby cphollis » 13 Nov 2017, 23:55

ADkeys wrote:Hi cphollis
Thanks for the post re the K8.2. I've been thinking about buying the RCF TT08A for a while. Currently use an RCF Evox 5, and Evox 8 for bigger gigs.
How do the TT's compare to the new QSC K8 please? I play and sing. Sometimes work with a drummer and another vocalist. I've never been happy with AP sounds through speakers I've owned. Apart from an L Acoustic 12" which was provided by a sound company on a gig last year. Could't believe the difference!

See what happens when you get a taste of the good stuff? It's hard to go back.

I have both the RCF TT08-as as well as the newer QSC K8.2. No question, the RCF is the better speaker in every regard. When I bought mine, the RCFs were something like 2.5x more expensive, so there's that. I've been telling people that the QSC K8.2 delivers maybe 85% of the RCF TT08-a experience for a fraction of the cost.

I play through the QSC K8.2s all the time, and love the way they sound with APs. They don't make me miss my RCFs.

If you want value, it's the QSC K8.2 series. If you want to treat yourself to a more premium experience, there's the RCF TT08-a. After that, the nutso expensive stuff like Fulcrum Acoustic, Meyer and L'Acoustic.

BTW, I have a pair of FA12ac units. Completely insane. Maybe someday you can indulge yourself?
Last edited by cphollis on 14 Nov 2017, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby Rufus8102 » 15 Nov 2017, 02:09

It seems a lot of people are liking the new K8.2. Just wondering if anyone has A/B'd the K8.2 with the K10.2. If so, is there much difference in sound especially with the APs? I play in a 9 piece cover band with 4 horns and I've been using a single K10 running mono, and I don't have any trouble keeping up with the volume of the band. I'd like to upgrade to the new QSC .2 series but I'm not sure if I should stick with a single K10.2 or go with 2 K8.2's and run stereo. I know running stereo is going to sound much better to me, but not sure if the audience will actually notice. I do send an aux send from my own mixer to our FOH board. I'm trying to get the best possible sound from the AP's which I'm sure everyone knows is a bit of a task. So I guess my question is whether the K10.2 will sound better than the K10 that i already have, and also, does the K8.2 sound better than the K10.2 for APs? Also, one last question, do you think a single K8.2 will be sufficient since I do send a line to FOH and I'm only basically using it as a monitor?
Sorry for rambling.....any opinions?
Thanks.
Last edited by Rufus8102 on 15 Nov 2017, 03:28, edited 2 times in total.
Rufus8102

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby cphollis » 15 Nov 2017, 17:50

"go with 2 K8.2's and run stereo" would be my suggestion.

There is a marked improvement in sound quality going from any legacy K series to any newer K.2 series. So any choice in this line would be an improvement in my book. Now we're down to splitting hairs between the K8.2 and the K10.2

I'm a stereo fan, so that would be my first consideration. I want things small and light if possible, so that would be my second consideration. Personally, I prefer the sound of the K8 and K8.2 to the K10 and K10.2 -- better dispersion, more accurate to my ears. Both can handle plenty of bass, both can get louder than you'll ever need.

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Rufus8102
cphollis

Postby cphollis » 15 Nov 2017, 18:44

BTW, you'll probably find that if you really like the way you sound, you'll probably end up playing better. And the audience will hear that.
cphollis

Postby ADkeys » 15 Nov 2017, 20:48

Hi cphollis. Thanks for the info. I will no doubt go for the TT08's. Otherwise I'll always be left wondering what if..!
I did hear from somebody else that they made the Nord AP 's sound amazing. Surprising really when you think of the frequency range on a piano and how a small speaker not only covers them all but makes them sound so good!
Will report back once I've got the TT's with my opinion.
ADkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 4

Postby Rusty Mike » 15 Nov 2017, 20:49

Rufus8102 wrote:. . . has A/B'd the K8.2 with the K10.2. If so, is there much difference in sound especially with the APs?

I have not compared the K.2's to each other, but I first bought (and still own) the K10 prior to the K8. For the first gen product, I feel the K8 had an overall better sound than the K10. It just seemed a bit more natural, where the K10 has a slightly "honkier" quality. That's not to say it's bad, but I preferred the K8.

. . . I've been using a single K10 running mono, and I don't have any trouble keeping up with the volume of the band. I'd like to upgrade to the new QSC .2 series but I'm not sure if I should stick with a single K10.2 or go with 2 K8.2's and run stereo. I know running stereo is going to sound much better to me, but not sure if the audience will actually notice. I do send an aux send from my own mixer to our FOH board. I'm trying to get the best possible sound from the AP's which I'm sure everyone knows is a bit of a task.

I will certainly agree with Chuck that stereo sounds much better than mono, but that is the case for almost anyone trying to amplify an AP sounds (particularly Nord's). I took the pair of K8.2's out last week for a gig and the sound was incredible. I just did a big band rehearsal last night with a single K8.2 and, well, let's just say I need more time to dial it in. I wasn't very happy with what came out of the speaker. I had it up on a small pole (about 3' off the ground), and was waaaaay to close to it. I sounded alright, but I think it can be drastically improved.

If your sole purpose is to run it as a floor monitor for your own use, I think a single speaker would be plenty loud. If you want to haul a pair of speakers just to hear yourself, you need to determine if it's worth the expense and shlep.

. . . my question is whether the K10.2 will sound better than the K10 that i already have, and also, does the K8.2 sound better than the K10.2 for APs?

The K.2's have a smoother high end compared to the first gen speakers, which tended to get screechy. This is particularly evident when you turn up the volume. The new DSP gives you a choice of preset EQ curves, plus the ability to adjust the EQ to your taste. It opens up new vistas.

If my experience with the first generation is consistent with the new models, then the K8.2 should be fine. Otherwise you may have to go to a music store that has both and test it yourself. Or buy one of each from a retailer and return the one you find less suitable.

. . . do you think a single K8.2 will be sufficient since I do send a line to FOH and I'm only basically using it as a monitor?

I think the 10 vs. 8 decision and the mono vs. stereo decision can be considered separately. A single 8.2 will provide enough volume for your stage monitoring. My experience demonstrated a more pleasing sound out of the K8. The fact that the K8.2's can now be used as floor monitors is a big plus.

Regarding stereo vs. mono, you will certainly get better sound in stereo. You need to decide if it's worth the extra equipment you must purchase and bring with you to a gig.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
Rufus8102
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby cphollis » 15 Nov 2017, 21:52

ADkeys wrote:Hi cphollis. Thanks for the info. I will no doubt go for the TT08's. Otherwise I'll always be left wondering what if..!
I did hear from somebody else that they made the Nord AP 's sound amazing. Surprising really when you think of the frequency range on a piano and how a small speaker not only covers them all but makes them sound so good!

Lots of jazz AP players swear by the RCF TT08-a and are unabashed fans. Can't go wrong in my opinion.
cphollis

Postby cphollis » 16 Nov 2017, 06:28

ADkeys wrote:Hi cphollis. Thanks for the info. I will no doubt go for the TT08's. Otherwise I'll always be left wondering what if..!

If you don't adore them, I would be shocked. They're that good. Lucky you that you have the disposable income to pull the trigger. Enjoy!!
Last edited by cphollis on 16 Nov 2017, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

ADkeys
cphollis

Postby Quai34 » 16 Nov 2017, 18:38

Are they the ones at 3000$ a pair or 3000$ one? The 3000$ one are the Acoustic ones right?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby cphollis » 17 Nov 2017, 06:26

Quai34 wrote:Are they the ones at 3000$ a pair or 3000$ one? The 3000$ one are the Acoustic ones right?

I paid $3700 for each of my FA12ac units. Plus custom covers. They're very, very nice, and never fail to impress. You want to sound good at a gig? You want to overcome lame FOH? You want to teach guitar hero a lesson in volume control?

Go look at that picture at your right. That's me a few years ago, playing a crap gig with a crap band. It didn't matter. I was bringing glorious sounds to the party. All good. Nothing like showing up to a casual gig with 4000w of pristine sound.

That's what drove me to buy them. As FOH for modest gigs, they're exceptional as well. Everyone wants to play through them. Secret juju coax time-domain magic makes them sound unusually tasty. Everyone I've met online who plays through FA products has the same ecstasy.

Hard to describe, but real. Long story.

I don't use them all the time, but when the situation calls for it -- heavy ammunition. I fire them up, and everyone smiles. Except guitar hero. They'll still be exceptional 20 years from now. I hope.

Glad I got that out of my system :)
Last edited by cphollis on 17 Nov 2017, 06:35, edited 2 times in total.

spradders
cphollis

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification