Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord Pad suddenly stopped working with Nord Drum 2

Postby handed » 04 Nov 2017, 12:54

Hi there,

I've been a satisfied user of the Nord Drum 2 and Nord Pad for some time, but recently the Nord Pad stopped working properly suddenly. Whenever I play the Pad, it now triggers wrong notes and velocites. I've tried reinstalling the latest firmware, power cycling, and using four different ethernet cables. The problem appears slightly differently with different ethernet cables, but none of them work perfectly. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be, and how to fix it? I'm in a difficult situation because I bought it in Germany but now live in Australia. I use the Nord Drum 2 and Nord Pad every day so this is driving me crazy! I would appreciate any help, thoughts or ideas you may have to offer.
handed

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Nord Pad suddenly stopped working with Nord Drum 2

Sponsor

Re: Nord Pad suddenly stopped working with Nord Drum 2

Postby wartaler » 04 Nov 2017, 23:06

Hi Handed,

Do you mean that if you hit one pad, more than one sound is triggered?
Perhaps you accidentally lowered the treshold settings.
Extreme settings may cause some crosstalk and spontaneous random triggering.
What category ethernet cables did you try?

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 13 Aug 2022, 11:42, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by 2 members, including:
vantone19handed
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby handed » 05 Nov 2017, 03:38

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply wartaler. It’s definitely not sensitivity settings, though I appreciate the suggestion. If I shift the cable around a little bit in the Nord Pad’s port, then sometimes it works fine, but even the slightest movement of the (best performing) cable and it reverts to “weird mode”. Two of the four cables have worked perfectly fine in the past. The other two I found lying around the house. I’m not sure how to check what type they are tbh. The original cable is gone.

It feels like it must be something to do with the Nord Pad’s Ethernet port. Any further ideas? Have you or anyone every had an ethernet port repaired? I’ve given it a clean, and there’s nothing visibly wrong.

Any further help would be very appreciated!
handed

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby wartaler » 05 Nov 2017, 12:43

Hi Handed,

The category is usually printed on the sheath of the cable, my original cable is a CAT 6 UTP, the number tells you which generation of cable it is, each new category has better isolation between the wires, reducing crosstalk within the cable. UTP means it is unshielded. Maybe the category doesn’t really matter for this use, it perhaps tells you something about the age of the cable indirectly.

Because you tested a couple of cables, I agree it seems to point to a problem with the port. Cleaning and checking it for physical damage makes sense, although it may be difficult to really tell, the contacts are very small to start with. There are some small structures to keep the connector in the right position, perhaps these can wear too. If I were you I would try to get it checked/serviced.

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 06 Nov 2017, 01:17, edited 5 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Happy » 14 Nov 2017, 07:50

Using an off the shelf CAT-6 without problems. Triggering wrong notes sounds weird and should not be cable related but more to the ND2 board hardware IHMO. Perhaps get it RMA'ed. RMA could be a headache because the Nord agent in your current country may not provide in and out of warranty service. That is the headache of people moving around the world even in this globally connected world with global service and supply chains to buy stuff but having service and support only going through local retailers and agents and then only for locally purchased products. Many companies have not adapted to the fact that people can move around on this planet and to find a IW/OW service and support solution for these nomads :-) Best guess probably will be to contact your original retailer for service.
Last edited by Happy on 14 Nov 2017, 08:10, edited 15 times in total.
Happy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby vantone19 » 25 Jul 2022, 17:13

this Forum saved my life so many times!
so thank you so much for all your paticipations :yourock:
vantone19

Postby Synco » 14 Jun 2023, 03:46

Did you find a solution? For some reason the middle pad in the lower row is showing a similar weird behavior. I have 3 units and lots of cables to try and have been able to boil it down to the actual pad. Weirdly enough two of the pads (both heavily used) show the same behavior on two different ND2s but an almost unused one works perfectly. I therefore have come to the conclusion it must be related to the circuit board or the actual Ethernet Port on the Pad. I cleaned it thoroughly to no effect but haven’t been able to dig deeper yet. Any help would be appreciated!
Synco

Postby Naughty Nord 4P » 14 Aug 2023, 09:31

Synco wrote:Did you find a solution? For some reason the middle pad in the lower row is showing a similar weird behavior. I have 3 units and lots of cables to try and have been able to boil it down to the actual pad. Weirdly enough two of the pads (both heavily used) show the same behavior on two different ND2s but an almost unused one works perfectly. I therefore have come to the conclusion it must be related to the circuit board or the actual Ethernet Port on the Pad. I cleaned it thoroughly to no effect but haven’t been able to dig deeper yet. Any help would be appreciated!

Yeah just happened to my Nord 3p last night This will be the 3rd time my unit will be sent to nord for the same issues. I have requested they replace my unit with a new 3p or let me trade it for one of their synths. Or ill have it fixed, sell it and buy a different synth. It sucks because im a drummer and I love the idea of the pads but this shouldnt be happening more than once. Im dissapointed they didnt release the Nord 3 no pads just the unit and inputs for pad triggers........I would have prefered that unit to use other quality quieter pads.
Naughty Nord 4P

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Return to Nord Drum Forum