General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

String layer cutting out - polyphony issue?

Postby NordNerd431 » 11 Nov 2017, 23:06

Just test played the Stage 3 88 today at local music store. I likely would have bought it today if not for the fact they will be getting a 76 Stage in soon, and would like to test drive that as well before buying. Enjoyed the board very much.

I did have a concern, however. When layering the piano with the synth (strings, for example), I noticed that it sounded as if the strings would intermittently cut out, almost as if it were a polyphony issue. Didn't notice this when using the synth engine only - just when layering. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix if it is a problem? My music store could also have had some settings adjusted (being a floor model), and may have affected things as well. Difficult to quickly diagnose in the store, especially with all the knobs and settings the Stage has. Thanks in advance for any help.
Nord Stage 3 88
Roland Fantom X8
Korg O1/W
Yamaha DX7
Roland D50
Roland fp3
NordNerd431

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

String layer cutting out - polyphony issue?

Sponsor

Re: String layer cutting out - polyphony issue?

Postby baekgaard » 11 Nov 2017, 23:23

Could also be that the model was running a very early version of the OS? I frequently use a piano with some pad/strings behind it. The program I use most for this (currently) uses a combination of two synth panels and a tone from the organ, so it's quite "dense" in terms of polyphony. I've never had an issue with playing this. I've been using my NS3 88HA for around 4.5 month now, playing it live just about once or twice a week.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
NordNerd431
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby NordNerd431 » 12 Nov 2017, 00:14

baekgaard wrote:Could also be that the model was running a very early version of the OS? I frequently use a piano with some pad/strings behind it. The program I use most for this (currently) uses a combination of two synth panels and a tone from the organ, so it's quite "dense" in terms of polyphony. I've never had an issue with playing this. I've been using my NS3 88HA for around 4.5 month now, playing it live just about once or twice a week.

Very possible - I will certainly check the OS when I try the 76. Aside from the layering issue, I really love the board.
Nord Stage 3 88
Roland Fantom X8
Korg O1/W
Yamaha DX7
Roland D50
Roland fp3
NordNerd431

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 12 Nov 2017, 00:20

Yes, it's a really nice board!

When it comes to the OS, just start by flashing it to the latest version (currently 1.24). It's almost inevitable that the board you receive will have an older version, since releases tend to come out every 2-4 weeks or so currently, and the shipping times from Sweden likely are longer than that :-)

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
NordNerd431
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum