General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage 3 - beginner's questions

Postby Kit McCarthy » 11 Nov 2017, 02:20

I am now the very proud owner of a Stage 3! I've spent today experimenting with it, and am in love. There were two questions I had immediately, struggled to solve, and to which I would now enormously appreciate any answers.

Firstly, I tried to recreate the low pass filter morph as in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMyGkX2B88 - and found it very difficult to achieve the same effect. How do I set the filter up for this?

Secondly, in the Stage 3 demo video, at around 11:55, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBKto6Cfqo), there is particular morph using the mod wheel which creates a gorgeous, broken distorted sound. A similar morph can be heard in the Stage 3's built-in Hi Resolution MW program. How is this created?

Many thanks!

Kit
Last edited by Kit McCarthy on 11 Nov 2017, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Kit McCarthy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Stage 3 - beginner's questions

Sponsor

Re: Stage 3 - beginner's questions

Postby ajstan » 11 Nov 2017, 03:34

Kit McCarthy wrote:Firstly, I tried to recreate the low pass filter morph as in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMyGkX2B88 - and found it very difficult to achieve the same effect. How do I set the filter up for this?
Kit

Welcome and congratulations on your new NS3. This should give you an idea of how to go about it:

- Activate the Synth section and use the Synth Preset knob to select a piano preset (Try Acoustic Piano 3)
- Select the filter you want to use (in this case, just use the LP12)
- Turn the FREQ knob down to the point where the brightness is removed to the lowest level you wish.
- Hold down the Wheel Morph Assign button while you turn the FREQ knob up to 10.
- Release the Wheel Morph Assign button. The green light to the bottom left of the FREQ should now be lit up, indicating a Morph has been assigned to it.
- Your Mod Wheel should now adjust the filter as you move it.

Hope this helps!
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by 3 members, including:
Kit McCarthypablomastodonderrellpiper
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ajstan » 11 Nov 2017, 03:55

Kit McCarthy wrote:Secondly, in the Stage 3 demo video, at around 11:55, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBKto6Cfqo), there is particular morph using the mod wheel which creates a gorgeous, broken distorted sound. A similar morph can be heard in the Stage 3's built-in Hi Resolution MW program. How is this created?

This one sounds like it was done with the LFO on a Synth strings layers with a piano.

- Activate the Synth section and select a string patch like StudioStrings Leg Vib
- Adjust the LFO AMT knob in the Filter section to somewhere between 6 and 7.
- In the LFO section, Select the Triangle LFO wave with the button.
- Set the LFO RATE knob to 0.
- Hold down the Wheel Morph Assign button and turn the LFO RATE knob to somewhere between 6 and 7 (the LFO rate in the display will read somewhere around 20 Hz).
- Release the Wheel Morph Assign button. The green light to the bottom left of the LFO RATE knob should be lit indicating that a morph has been assigned.
- Turn the LFO RATE button back to 0.
- If you want to layer a piano, activate the piano section, select a piano an adjust the volume.
- The Morph Wheel should bring in the LFO effect as you move it.

Of course, you will need to adjust each section to sound more like the demo, but this should give you a general idea of how to use the LFO.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by 2 members, including:
Kit McCarthyderrellpiper
ajstan

Postby BuckW » 11 Nov 2017, 15:08

Similar or related question regarging factory preset A10.

I'm having trouble recreating what the mod wheel does with the control pedal. (I wish they had a quick easy way to do this.) I got the levels morphing for the pipe organ and one synth but there is something going on with the freq knob of the Amp Sim/EQ section I can't replicate. It just cuts out. Maybe I need to morph it from higher to lower.
Last edited by BuckW on 11 Nov 2017, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
BuckW

Postby ajstan » 11 Nov 2017, 15:52

BuckW wrote:Similar or related question regarging factory preset A10.

I'm having trouble recreating what the mod wheel does with the control pedal. (I wish they had a quick easy way to do this.) I got the levels morphing for the pipe organ and one synth but there is something going on with the freq knob of the Amp Sim/EQ section I can't replicate. It just cuts out. Maybe I need to morph it from higher to lower.

I also wish there was a way to copy morphs from the wheel to the pedal (or at least view the morph values/ranges), but at least this way we get to learn how to create morphs by following an existing example. Gotta look on the bright side. :)

I think that if you start off the morph at 1.8 kHz (which is the non-morphed value of the control) instead of the lowest level of 200Hz, the sound will be there, no matter what the wheel/pedal position is. You do want to turn the FREQ up with the morph, not down. In case you didn’t know, you can view the levels selected for each knob if you hold down the MONITOR/COPY PANEL button while turning the knob. It only works for the original, non-morphed value. I don’t know if there’s a way to view the morphed value, but you can adjust to your preference.
Last edited by ajstan on 11 Nov 2017, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
ajstan

Return to Nord Stage Forum