Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

What size piano file to download Electro 3 61 key

Postby jfornoff1 » 11 Nov 2017, 04:10

Which size file is worth downloading to my Electro 3? Is installing the XL or L going to give me any difference in tone than the M or S files? I've been listening to clips on-line of the pianochuck playing the fazioli XL on his Stage 2 and thinking --Can my Electro 3 sound like that?
jfornoff1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

What size piano file to download Electro 3 61 key

Sponsor

Re: What size piano file to download Electro 3 61 key

Postby Rusty Mike » 11 Nov 2017, 04:29

Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 11 Nov 2017, 04:33

Not much reason to use L in a 61, as all it adds is resonance largely (or entirely?) outside the 61-key range (though that's still useful if you octave shift, or more likely, if you trigger the 61 from an attached 88). XL will give it a different character by virtue of sampling more (all?) of the individual notes instead of stretching samples from adjacent keys. You'll never get the Long Release function, which I think helps them sound more natural, but it's somewhat subtle. (As are the resonances, for that matter.) I actually think that the best single improvement you can make on an E3 is to play the pianos from a weighted action board attached via a MIDI cable. But it's a lot cheaper to try the XL first and see what you think. ;-)
anotherscott

Postby harmonizer » 11 Nov 2017, 06:59

I have an Electro 3 73. I don't think you can fit the XL size of most of the piano patches in an Electro 3, if you are going to keep some basic EP, clavinet or Wurli sounds, which also occupy space in the piano memory bank.

Are you using stereo or mono amplification? If mono, I suggest the Royal Grand. I use the "L" size in my Electro 3 73. In my opinion, most of the Nord acoustic piano sounds do not sound right in mono - it's one of the odd things about Nord. I have tried several of the others (Italian, Silver, Bright Grand) and they don't sound right - I recall that they just don't sound right in the first octave below middle C, if running in mono. If you are using stereo amplification, there are many good choices.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum