Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Thicker upper register piano tones

Postby johnnyhunter » 31 Oct 2017, 03:35

Hello and thank you in advance for your help. I use an Electro5HP through a Bose L1 compact (sometimes 2 of them). The following I have noticed with other brands of pianos too: notes played in the higher registers - let's say beyond the octave that starts with middle C - can sound a little thin relatively speaking. I play a lot in supper clubs with a lot of ambient noise and the issue is even more pronounced there. I am guessing that a parametric EQ would help, but to be honest, I don't have the ears to use one. Perhaps certain piano samples and/or EQ settings will help ? The Bose L1 compacts have a pretty strong bottom end so I need to make sure that EQ settings don't make my left hand playing sound muddy or overpowering. Thanks again for your thoughts !
johnnyhunter

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Thicker upper register piano tones

Sponsor

Re: Thicker upper register piano tones

Postby OrpheusNY » 31 Oct 2017, 04:25

Two of my favorite samples that have come out in recent years are the Royal Grand and Amber Upright. One of the main reasons I like them is they don’t thin out through the upper range as much as some of the older samples.
OrpheusNY

Re: Thicker upper register piano tones

Postby maurus » 31 Oct 2017, 10:58

Sounds like the bass needs to be taken back some in EQ, as well as a boost is required to the upper mids (try to vary the frequency from 1-2 kHz upwards to get the best result), and highs. Don't overdo it; the trick is to make the overall response in the room as flat as possible.

Of course if your amplification is too boomy in itself it can be hard or impossible to correct it...
maurus

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Electro Forum