Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Newbie midi question

Postby fieldflower » 23 Oct 2017, 18:36

anotherscott wrote:
fieldflower wrote:Before making the MIDI receive settings "Upper receive" doesn't appear no matter how much You turn the KB split dial.
Then You're just stuck between the standard split points.

Ah. It worked for me, so I must have had whatever important MIDI settings already done from my previous machinations.
ETA: Yes, I had already set MIDI Upper Channel Receive to 1, from the last time I had played with this. The default is None, so yes,I left out that step, I'll fix that above. (Some of the other settings you list, while fine, are not relevant for making this work.)

Your MIDI settings look fine, except possibly "Program Change Mode: Send/Receive" -- as I said, you probably don't want it to Receive if you might also be selecting different sounds on your attached 88, because then changing a sound on your 88 may inadvertently change the sound on your Nord.

I can imagine some of the settings are not used - I've fiddled my fingers off trying to get it to play the Part Lower on the MIDI keys (to get the B3 Bass on lower manual since my NE5D is sitting on top of my Yamaha).
Control/Program Change are one of the few I haven't touched so I guess that is factory default(?)

anotherscott wrote:
fieldflower wrote:the quirk that if You put a piano on Part Lower and a sample on Part Upper and layer them (no KB split) You get both sounds on the NE5D keys and only the sample on the Yamaha keys.

Right, the Yamaha will only play the Upper sound (which is, really, the whole point of this whole process). In your scenario, you could also switch which part is where, i.e. put the sample on Part Lower and the piano on Part Upper. They will still be layered on the Nord (since you have no KB Split engaged), but if you do it that way, the Yamaha could still be used to play piano alone, which may be more useful than having the Yamaha set to play the sample alone.

Yep completely flexible, except for getting the B3 Bass on the lower... :wtf:
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 23 Oct 2017, 19:38

filedflower, I think you'd also want to change Channel Upper Receive back to its default of Off (or to some channel other than 1), in order to stop the Yamaha from triggering any Nord sound when Keyboard Split is off.
anotherscott

Postby fieldflower » 23 Oct 2017, 21:04

anotherscott wrote:filedflower, I think you'd also want to change Channel Upper Receive back to its default of Off (or to some channel other than 1), in order to stop the Yamaha from triggering any Nord sound when Keyboard Split is off.

Actually I like the possibility to "run away" with strings individually while playing a layered sound.
It creates an addition to the sonic palette.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum