The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

C1 with subwoofer

Postby jamienewman » 15 Nov 2011, 04:05

Hate to be forum hog, but here's another question:

I have both a C1 and the Nord Stage 88. I've been trying to come up with a single amplifier/speaker configuration that will work well with both boards. I have a pair of JBL Eon 510's that make the piano sound really good, but they just don't seem to handle the bass output from the C1 very well. At the volumes at which I usually run them -- which aren't screaming -- they seem to be working too hard and sound sort of honky and overdriven. This is a problem since I'm using the C1 mostly on organ trio gigs where I'm playing bass (just keyboard, not pedals).

I recently acquired a Motion Sound KP- 500SN, which makes the C1 sound fabulous, and delivers very substantial bass sound. But, despite much tweaking, it makes the acoustic pianos sound on the Stage sound crappy -- boxy, clangy, lifeless. (The EPs and Clavs sound fine).

So unless someone can tell me how to make the KP-500SN sound good with Stage, I'm thinking about getting rid of it, and buying a subwoofer to use with one of the JBL's. (Electro-Voice has an interesting new sub with a 12 inch woofer that weighs only around 35 lbs).

Has anyone used a C1 or C2 with this combination -- a single powered speaker and a powered sub? If I were to try this, how would I route the C1's output? Mono out to the powered speaker, with the sub daisy chained to it? Or could I run one stereo out to the speaker, and the other to the sub?

Or, if I decided to run through both JBL's and a sub, what would be the best way to route the C1 output, and to connect the speakers?

Sorry to be so long-winded, and to ask questions that are probably quite dumb. I just play digital keyboards -- I really don't understand them.

Thanks to your help.
Last edited by jamienewman on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
jamienewman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

C1 with subwoofer

Sponsor

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum