General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Aftertouch on NS3

Postby anotherscott » 16 Oct 2017, 20:23

RichardG wrote:
Bjosko wrote:Always thought the 76 and 88 were similar in keybed only shorter (or longer, depending on where you come from).
But get the impression from this forum that's not true.

That was true on the older Nord Stage models. It is not true on the NS2EX or NS3, where the 76 uses a different action which most people don't like as much as the 88, but it is an action that allows them to make the board noticeably lighter.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
RichardG
anotherscott

Sponsor

Postby friendben » 17 Oct 2017, 22:53

I just went from a Stage 2 HA76 to a Stage 3 HP76. I always thought the HA was a compromise between the light touch for a synth/organ, and the heavier touch of a piano. I was raised on piano and after only a few days adjusting, I much prefer the HPs heavier, more piano like touch.
Nord Stage 3 HP76
Nord Wave
Yamaha Disklavier Upright
Dave Smith Mopho
Korg Prophecy
friendben

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Bjosko » 17 Oct 2017, 23:29

Yes, the HP feels great after a little adjusting. Also fine for Organ, if you choose the high trigger point.
Just that aftertouch that annoying me a bit, but I can live with it, useable for single notes, for chords it are better to use control pedal or mod wheel.
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby friendben » 17 Oct 2017, 23:52

Bjosko wrote:Yes, the HP feels great after a little adjusting. Also fine for Organ, if you choose the high trigger point.
Just that aftertouch that annoying me a bit, but I can live with it, useable for single notes, for chords it are better to use control pedal or mod wheel.

Hopefully the Aftertouch gets fixed. When I use it on synth, it's too stiff for any nuance. Should be 128 steps, yet I have to press so hard it's like an on-off switch. I'm sure they'll get to it.
Nord Stage 3 HP76
Nord Wave
Yamaha Disklavier Upright
Dave Smith Mopho
Korg Prophecy
friendben

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby anotherscott » 18 Oct 2017, 00:30

friendben wrote:Hopefully the Aftertouch gets fixed. When I use it on synth, it's too stiff for any nuance. Should be 128 steps, yet I have to press so hard it's like an on-off switch. I'm sure they'll get to it.

Mechanical adjustments can't be fixed with software updates, so the ability to alter this behavior is probably limited. Though honestly, I find that's pretty typical of aftertouch. I agree with BuckW. It has to provide stiff resistance, or else it's too easy to trigger it when you don't want. I'd use it for a preprogrammed amount of effect, and use wheel or pedal for cases where I need more subtle control.
anotherscott

Postby kbrkr » 18 Oct 2017, 00:40

Can I ask a stupid question; How are you testing Aftertouch? What program are you using to test this?
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby Bjosko » 18 Oct 2017, 07:02

You can use it on all parameters that are “morphable”.
Easy to see if you try a volume knob, as they have led encoders, so you will see what happens.

Here is a tutorial from NS2, but it works on the same way at NS3.
Watch on youtube.com
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby blizz » 18 Oct 2017, 07:44

Hi,

instead of exerting force on the keybed, one might just as well press only the lowest key of the chord voicing implied. This will also trigger the whole chord to be morphed by aftertouch. Simple but effective!

D
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/artist/dirk-schreurs
www.dirkschreurs.com

The author blizz was thanked by:
baekgaard
blizz

Postby LudovicVDP » 18 Oct 2017, 11:26

Don't know about the 3, but on the NS2EX76HP, I simply don't use the AT as it requires so much force that I find it unusable.
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby ajstan » 18 Oct 2017, 12:39

kbrkr wrote:Can I ask a stupid question; How are you testing Aftertouch? What program are you using to test this?

There are factory preset programs that have “AT” at the end of the title, indicating that there is a morph assigned to aftertouch. Likewise, “MW” indicates a morph assigned to the mod wheel. I didn’t see any programs that used the control pedal, so I had to create my own.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by:
kbrkr
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum