General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Stage2/Stage 3 compatibility?

Postby teedub » 11 Oct 2017, 19:28

analogika wrote:
teedub wrote:Damn! Seems like a missed opportunity to me.
I guess I'll just have to book a month off to program it when the time comes :shock:

"Missed opportunity" for whom?

Do you think it will affect sales? I mean, you, the guy who just decided that he'll have to budget time to reprogram? :wave:

Well, I think it might affect sales actually. No way to really tell unless we go to an alternate universe…
Here's my full thoughts:
I love Nord and might upgrade to the Stage 3 in time. HOWEVER…I have 391 programs currently in use on my Stage 2. It would definitely take a lot of time to rebuild these from scratch. Would it take longer to create them on a Korg Kronos2? At this point, maybe some people in my shoes will decide to "jump ship" for that or some other keyboard.
If Nord provided a way for us to load our programs(I know they wouldn't be exactly the same, but just a working template if you will) that would make the decision easy. Sell the Stage 2, buy the Stage 3, upload the sounds as a starting point and take it from there.
The price is a factor. In my area, Stage 3 88 lists for $6299. Kronos2 88 for $4999. Big difference.
And yes, this is not my first rodeo! I know new gear means programming, yada, yada. It's just that the huge list price coupled with the advances in technology make me wonder if this could be better at this point in time. It's not 1988 anymore, much as I kinda wish it was!
teedub
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby analogika » 11 Oct 2017, 21:52

Hm. I do see your point, of course.

But: A Nord Stage 3 88 is only 100€ more expensive than a Kronos 2015 88 here.

Apart from that, they really aren’t comparable. The stuff that the Nord can do is much, much faster to achieve than on the Kronos. But the stuff that the Nord can’t do is infinitely faster on the Kronos.

If I intend to use the machine for those things the Stage is capable of, reprogramming will make up the price difference in billable time within ten or so patches. :-)
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby derrellpiper » 12 Oct 2017, 22:37

I've worked on complicated operating systems that offer backwards compatibility and it's not easy. I'd much rather Nord spend their precious engineering resources on the current firmware (and bug list) instead of worrying about supporting a binary program dump format that isn't efficient on the new hardware (or they would have used it in the first place).
Last edited by derrellpiper on 12 Oct 2017, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

The author derrellpiper was thanked by:
analogika
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby gkilsti » 28 Oct 2017, 11:03

I also miss the LEDs on the Effects, External and especially the filter FREQ a lot.
Jumping filter freq when using live is not nice :(
I really hope that Clavia will be able to some smart solution to give us the possibility to align the knob to current value
of a parameter before the sound changes to avoid this, by using the OLED.

Today you can monitor the current value without change (using the MONITOR button), but when you move the knob you don't see the new value at the same time,
and it's hard to know which knob position that eg. F=245 maps to.
A dual-value in the OLED on the MONITOR view or maybe a hold-shift-and-turn feature to allow for small changes when playing live would be really appreciated.
Very often I prepare sounds at home and when I am on stage, there is a sound that is a little too bright, so I want to lower the filter freq by just a little.
This was very easy on the NS2, but not on the NS3.

Well, Clavia being such a professional company that listens to their users, I am pretty sure they will solve this soon :)
gkilsti

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum