General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 2 - Can you patch change with a pedal/footswitch?

Postby JazzJasper » 10 Nov 2011, 23:14

Hi all,

I am playing a stadium gig very soon and I have specified a Nord Stage 2 (88 note) for the incredible Piano samples, rhodes, etc and a Nord C2 for the great organ models. I also have an 88 note Korg Kronos coming and a 61 note Yamaha Motif so I have lots of options for some cool sounds.

Anyway my question is can I cycle through the patches/programs with a foot pedal/foot switch? This was a feature that was desperately missing for me from the NS1 and I'm hoping they've included it in this keyboard. If you can, how do I go about setting it up and if not - could I wire up the Korg Kronos or Yamaha Motif I also have for the gig to send a patch change to the Nord? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Gabe
Last edited by JazzJasper on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
JazzJasper

Nord Stage 2 - Can you patch change with a pedal/footswitch?

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 2 - Can you patch change with a pedal/footswi

Postby Hanon_CTS » 10 Nov 2011, 23:23

Hello JazzJasper,
Welcome to the forums!
Gabe,
you can't do program change via footswitch without additional equipment.
There is some additional discussion about the necessary equipment in this thread:
nord-stage-forum-f3/sound-change-with-stage-2-t1645.html
Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby anotherscott » 11 Nov 2011, 00:02

In addition to the methods described in the above mentioned thread (and the thread that that thread itself links to), yes, you can also change patches on the NS2 from your Motif or Kronos. You'll need a regular 5-pin MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT of the Motif/Kronos to the MIDI IN of the NS2. You can easily create "Combis" on the Kronos or "Masters" (if I remember correctly) on the Motif that include, not just assignments of sounds for their own internal keyboards, but also (or even only) Program Change commands to send out over MIDI to your attached Nord (or any other MIDI device). The basic idea would be to set the Nord up to respond to a given MIDI channel, let's say 7, and then have your Kronos/Motif patch send a Program Change over MIDI Channel 7. Assuming that you haven't set those boards themselves up to play on MIDI Channel 7 (they default to 1), then they will send the Program Change which will be recognized by the Nord, but you'll still be able to play the boards independently (that is, the keys you play on your Kronos or Motif won't trigger sounds on the Nord... though of course, there are also ways to make that happen as well, if you want to). I'd probably use the Kronos rather than the Motif, because its Set List feature would make it easy to have a nicely labeled touchscreen that could display information about which Nord patch will be called up.
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Postby JazzJasper » 11 Nov 2011, 15:48

Thanks guys.

Fantastic advice as always whenever I visit the forum. I get my hands on the keyboards tomorrow (very excited). I will look into changing patches via the Kronos for the moment although the MIDI solutions box looks great. I'm sure I'll be back soon with a few more MIDI related question regarding the Nord! Thanks again.
Last edited by JazzJasper on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
JazzJasper

Return to Nord Stage Forum