Share your complete Nord Stage 2 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

REQUEST; Sly & Family Stone Horn Section

Postby Lord_Nord » 25 Sep 2017, 05:33

Hey fellow Nord Lords! I'm playing a Woodstock revival type show and I've been asked to cover the horn section for Sly & The Family Stone on Dance To The Music, Music Lover, and Higher. I'm finding that the downloadable samples from the Nord site are a little cheesy sounding...or maybe need tweaking. Does anyone have any horn section samples that might work for some snappy funk?!

Thanks in advance!
Lord_Nord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

REQUEST; Sly & Family Stone Horn Section

Sponsor

Re: REQUEST; Sly & Family Stone Horn Section

Postby Quai34 » 25 Sep 2017, 10:29

in my opinion, there is no samples that could be as good as a real horn section in a funk song.....You will always miss the "Snap" and "intensity" of the all brass section like in September (Earth Winf and Fire...) or the songs you asked for. But if you check this website, I had good experiences with some pop/brass samples or even "full sustain" of full "fall section". I got them a while ago and they work for "I feel good", "Sledgehammer" etc....Ok, I usually layer them with some other samples from my VX5080 or the Proteus 2000...But I always miss the real articulation of a real brass player but it does the trick in a cover band situation.
I'm assuming that if you use big samples libraries on computer you will get even closer but just with Nord Samples you will be a bit short...It all depends on how realistic they want you to be....But honestly, I Start to be a little bit upset by other members who always ask you to cover some stuff that you are not even supposed to do, as a keyboard player.
Here is a thread about brass samples:
nord-electro-forum-f9/brass-section-ne5d-t13602.html
But I start to think like "Gambold", he said in different posts that the more you try to emulate real acoustic instruments, the more the band will always ask you to play other parts that keys and will turn/Shift you away form the basic, playing keys....
So, I don't want to discourage you but make sure you won't end up being told :
"Well, look at that, this new Rolling Stone song, you will have a blast in doing the Sax solo!!!!"...Well, for sure, it's really hard to distinguish even a small amount of organ in the song...
Ok, sorry for being maybe too much negative but to get the best brass samples, you need to get a good and pure samples box...Shouls I say that the Roland Integra 7 has some?
Last edited by Quai34 on 25 Sep 2017, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby harmonizer » 25 Sep 2017, 18:46

Many pop songs that feature horns also have a B3 organ playing along with those horn parts. You might try playing some organ parts *instead* of horn sounds - this might work better than horn sounds on some songs, especially since it is difficult to emulate the breath attack of horn parts from a keyboard. I say this as someone who plays sax as his main instrument.
Last edited by harmonizer on 25 Sep 2017, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Lord_Nord » 28 Sep 2017, 20:07

Thanks for the replies. I usually comp on organ for the horn parts, but there is actually going to be another keyboard player doing the organ parts for Sly and they want the horns in there. Ill do my best!
Last edited by Lord_Nord on 28 Sep 2017, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Nord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby DJKeys » 28 Sep 2017, 21:05

I also think that blending samples with synthesized brass-like sounds makes for an effective combination.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Return to Nord Stage 2 Programs (*.ns2p files)