All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Single QSC K8.2 or CPS SSv3?

Postby dh12345 » 13 Sep 2017, 14:28

I thought I had convinced myself to buy a CPS SSv3 for my Stage 2 Ex (I use mainly AP, Rhodes and B3 sounds in a soul band) but having seen the reviews of the K8.2, I really can't decide.

It's made all the more difficult by the fact you can only buy the SSv3 online over here in the UK so I can't really try it out that easily.

I know this is totally subjective but what would people favour for use in a live setting (nine piece soul band, medium size venue), the stereo separation of the SSv3 or the power and clarity (as reviewed) of the K8.2. There's usually an option to go to FOH

(By the way, buying 2 K8's is not an option)

Thanks in advance for any contributions
dh12345

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Single QSC K8.2 or CPS SSv3?

Sponsor

Re: Single QSC K8.2 or CPS SSv3?

Postby DJKeys » 13 Sep 2017, 17:00

I think I can give you some input on this.

I owned an SSv3 for about a year. I sold it recently an bought a K8.2. CPHollis had a great review of them. This is from a guy who has probably $10K invested in speaker systems:

post87170.html?hilit=k8.2#p87170

I use a single K8.2 with both my L and R inputs from my stereo mixer and it sounds good on everything. The SS needed positioning and tweaking on every gig and just did not sound as consistent for different types of input, Synth, organ, piano. The K8 essentially sounds good, plenty of power, more than enough bass (which SS lacked) with nothing extra needed. Just plug it in an play.

Just one musician's opinion-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by 2 members, including:
spraddersdh12345
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby 88keyz » 13 Sep 2017, 18:51

As I age, I decided my Nord Stage 2 HA76 and Motion Sound KBR3D (70 pounds) were too heavy. I just switched to an Electro 5D SW73 and the Space Station V.3. My criteria is that I prefer to run in Stereo. When I used the Stage 2, I had piano and synth going to the left and right outputs and organ routed to a separate output going to the Motion Sound's rotary channel (it has an actual mechanical rotating horn). The Electro only has right and left outputs, so i gave up using a real rotary speaker. So far I'm pleased with the SS V.3, but I'm still getting used to it. I think it's amazing for its size. Yes, it does require a little tweaking at each gig, but I believe any amp does, depending on the acoustic environment. I had the advantage of finding a used V.3 locally and was able to try it prior to purchasing. Unless you live in Ft. Wayne, Indiana USA (home of Sweetwater Sound)it has to be purchased online, even in the US.
"Keyboard" Keith Chelm
Cleveland, Ohio USA
http://www.keyboardkeith.com
Live Gear: Nord Electro 5D SW73, Yamaha Motif XF6 through Spacestation V.3
Home Gear: Hammond B3/Lesl;ie 122, Rhodes Suitcase Mk1, Nord Stage 2, Minimoog Model D (Vintage)

The author 88keyz was thanked by:
dh12345
88keyz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby cphollis » 24 Sep 2017, 03:46

Yeah, I'm the guy who has way too much amplification gear. It's not $10k, more like $20k. No shame, it's my thing.

I still use my SSv3 for smaller gigs, the ones that aren't as directional, and I'd like everyone to have a nice, warm sound. Small bars, intimate parties, etc. It's like a fuzzy blanket, really. Not selling mine anytime soon.

But it's a different deal when you want to be in people's faces. Which occasionally is the mission.

The entire K.2 series is totally awesome. I love my pair of K8.2 units, I think they do 80% of what the RCF TT08-a units do for a fraction of the price. And that's saying a lot'?

I have a Motion Sound KBR-3D with the rotating horn. Dude, I'm way past that now. Give me a killer stereo setup, and a sim completely blows it out.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby afroskully » 26 Sep 2017, 15:14

I just upgraded to the qsc k8.2 and the difference in clarity from my trusty traynor K4 to this was outstanding. i've heard from other users that one had plenty of volume... i was much happier when i went to two, both for volume and stereo field. carrying two of these around is still lighter and easier than what I had prior.

can't speak to the SSv3 as far as playing through one, but i did hear someone soundcheck on stage with it once and was quite surprised at what comes out of that little box.
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby cphollis » 28 Sep 2017, 02:23

Glad you like the K8.2 units, as I became a HUGE fan as soon as mine were delivered. So much bang for the buck in a svelte package. QSC brought some game on these babies.

That being said, the K8.2 lives on a spectrum.

For me, the notch below is my trustworthy CPS SSv3. Nothing does what it does at the price point and schlep factor. Still a winner for us stereo dudes.

And there are multiple notches above if you're interested. More money, sometimes more schlep. Right now, I'm gigging with a pair of RCF TT08-a units ($$$). Small, svelte, and totally awesome. Can't imagine any better for the use case.

Of course, if you want to talk bigger, schleppier units, we can have an extensive conversation :)

The author cphollis was thanked by:
smcelyea
cphollis

Postby smcelyea » 14 Feb 2018, 02:05

I used the SSv3 for a week. Sent it back, not enough power. Plenty of noise, but no definition. Would be ok I suppose if I was doing a single or acoustic orientated gig. Would recommend QSC, Turbosound , JBL, or something along that line (powered speaker). IMO The SS (to me) is a fun novelty.
...Ok, let the criticism begin ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smcelyea

Postby cphollis » 14 Feb 2018, 15:49

"not enough power"

You must be playing with very loud band. Bring ear protection, please. Not a criticism, just an observation. If you need +110 dB or more volume, you're right, the SSv3 is not for you. Nor was it designed to be, more about surround sound.

"IMO The SS (to me) is a fun novelty."

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, naturally!

That being said, there's a large group of players who find the SSv3 meets their needs quite well. It continues to play a role in my amplification lineup, no interest in selling it unless an updated version comes out.
cphollis

Postby smcelyea » 14 Feb 2018, 20:57

Perhaps an updated version could be an answer, but at “Concert level” it was too undefined in a open drum, slant monitor situation. I’m really not saying it’s a bad sound, just underpowered. Interestingly a powered slant, even or even a KC-550 has plenty of juice. The omnidirectional thing just wasn’t enough for me. Had it been ok for me, I totally loved it’s size and concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smcelyea

Return to Accessories and Amplification