General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 or Komplete Kontrol S88

Postby Make112 » 23 Sep 2017, 14:07

Hi,

I am trying to decide between Nord Stage 2-3 or Complete Kontrol S88 and I need help. The purpose for me is to make music and live performances as well. I need controller features and I like things that Complete Control S88 allows you to do. For example this link in youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtLcfw8DjY
Can I do staff like this with Nord Stage 2 or 3 as well? Playing for example piano lead and the lead keeps going on and then I play strings for example and the stings keeps going - making song peace by peace like this guy in this youtube video?
Make112

Nord Stage 3 or Komplete Kontrol S88

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 or Komplete Kontrol S88

Postby anotherscott » 23 Sep 2017, 14:32

No, the Nord by itself will not do that. Keep in mind that the Kontrol, by itself, doesn't do that either... it has no sounds in it at all, it's being used with a computer.

You could probably do what you want on the Nord by adding a loop pedal, maybe something like the Boss RC-3 Loop Station.
anotherscott

Postby KyleM » 23 Sep 2017, 16:42

They are two different animals altogether. Kontrol is meant to be used with a computer. If I'm not mistaken it MUST be used with a computer.
The Stage 3 is more of a live performance keyboard. But I have a Stage 2 (Compact) and I've had great results recording with it.
Nord sounds great.
KyleM

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby BuckW » 23 Sep 2017, 23:40

I was underwhelmed by the feel of the soft keyboard komplete kontrol compared to the electro 5d.
BuckW

Postby Murphy » 26 Sep 2017, 00:16

I'm excited about all of the apps becoming practical to use on an iPad because I don't like dragging computers around to live performances. I just used a Ravenscroft 275 app on my iPad all controlled by a low-end hammer keyboard. Sounded great and I had a great jazz gig. However, I didn't have any quick way of changing sounds, and that's the rub with MIDI controllers going into computers, iPads or Android tablets/phones. I'm working hard on having a live setup with iPad, Androids and (gulp) computers, but nothing beats a keyboard with lots of sounds to bail you out on a gig. You can't beat a Nord Stage or Electro to do that. My approach is to use my Electro, Roland A-49, and lots of other odds and ends to learn more about iPad/computer controlled sounds. I think the Kontrol is a terrific keyboard too. Get both! Enjoy both and have fun. My two cents worth...
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby anotherscott » 26 Sep 2017, 13:59

Murphy wrote:I'm excited about all of the apps becoming practical to use on an iPad because I don't like dragging computers around to live performances. I just used a Ravenscroft 275 app on my iPad all controlled by a low-end hammer keyboard. Sounded great and I had a great jazz gig. However, I didn't have any quick way of changing sounds

Check out the iMidiPatchbay app, which can give you a quick way of changing sounds on combinations of sounds from other apps (and hardware, for that matter). It even has a Nord-like interface.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Murphy
anotherscott

Postby Murphy » 26 Sep 2017, 19:28

anotherscott wrote: Check out the iMidiPatchbay app, which can give you a quick way of changing sounds on combinations of sounds from other apps (and hardware, for that matter). It even has a Nord-like interface.

That is a great suggestion! I just bought it. I didn't buy the multiple masters in-app purchase (yet) and will save that purchase when I sort this app out. I've been incredibly reluctant to drag a laptop around, but I recently bought a March-2017 gen 5 iPad with 128GB. I'd lost track of the pricing but for $400, I thought I might be able to find a lot of use for my music apps. And sure enough, my music apps are awesome now. I think it's possible I'll just buy apps on multiple iPads here on out, especially since the 5th generation iPad is useful and priced affordably (semi-anyway). But, I think I'll always love my Nord(s), and will always want to upgrade my Nord. But, for the money, apps on iPads and MIDI keyboards are a reality now. Thanks for pointing this out to me.
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord Stage Forum