Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Moog EP not working correctly

Postby lloydjrose » 22 Sep 2017, 00:04

Hello all,

I'm using a Moog EP-3 with my Electro 4D, os version 1.2. The pedal range displayed on the Nord shows the pedal working, at best, a range from 51 to 100. No setting of the pedal models or pot tweaking on the pedal can improve this, so far. In no case can I get the pedal to read under 51.

Since the pedal is probably a fairly simple device, I'd like to approach this fix from the angle of modifying or repairing the pedal--unless of course, I'm missing something in software.

Any and all thoughts welcome--meanwhile, I'm looking for my old Roland pedal to see if it behaves the same.

thanks

LJR
lloydjrose

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C1

Moog EP not working correctly

Sponsor

Re: Moog EP not working correctly

Postby cgrafx » 22 Sep 2017, 00:33

Try using a different pedal setting on the Electro 4D. I have a similar issue with a Yamaha FC7 pedal on my Electro 5D. The FC7 setting doesn't work properly with the pedal and I think I ended up using the Roland setting instead.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
lloydjrose
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby lloydjrose » 22 Sep 2017, 01:14

thanks for the speedy reply--I wish it were that simple. I've already tried all the pedal models available in the 4D.
lloydjrose

Postby cgrafx » 22 Sep 2017, 01:46

Moog says the EP3 has a scalable output knob for specifying musical range. I couldn't find a manual for the pedal, but there should be a way to adjust the output range of the pedal. Seems like you already tried that though so would have to say the only thing left is a bad cable or you have a defective pedal.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
lloydjrose
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby kagamul » 22 Sep 2017, 14:04

Yes, there is a pot on the right side to adjust the range!

The author kagamul was thanked by:
lloydjrose
kagamul
Patch Creator

Postby lloydjrose » 22 Sep 2017, 14:40

I swapped out the cable already, and I've found the "best" range setting which gives me full output (100) but not a zero minimum, only 51. There isn't much going on in that pedal to go wrong; the pot attached to the pedal, the range pot, and a polarity switch. The Nord doesn't care about the polarity switch apparently as it can be in either position and get the same results.

Can anyone give me a simple way to test the pedal with a multimeter?
lloydjrose

Postby enaydee » 20 Jan 2018, 10:39

I'm having exactly the same problem - did you ever find a fix or can anyone suggest one?
enaydee

Postby Spider » 03 Feb 2018, 17:24

Weird...on my Stage, the moog pedal works perfectly, with either polarity. The range knob on the pedal is fully clockwise.
I use the "Yamaha FC7" setting and I get the full 0-100% range, but I tried the other settings and they also work.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby DaTroll » 26 Mar 2018, 21:23

I have noticed this problem too. I prefer the Moog over the Roland pedal as the latter is quite light weight and moves around easily. What I did notice though is that the problem with the EP3 isn’t consistent; with some programs the Moog pedal works fine, from zero and up. I guess I will have to take out the ohm-meter to see what exactly is going on.

What I have understood from Clavia support though (they’re good at giving useful replies*) is that all of the pedals are checked by the OS when powering on, for example to determine if the sustain pedal is NC or NO, so making calibrations on the Moog (or Roland) may perhaps not make much difference without cycling power off-on of the Electro?

(I also have the Yamaha swell pedal — it’s my favourite, except when the foot plate comes askew in the heat of the moment — but it’s bolted to a board that I only use when I play with multiple keyboards.)

*) The reason the Electro 5 and contemporary Stage models now properly support hold mode on the rotary pedal input is because of a support request I sent to Clavia that made them discover a bug in the power-up process of checking the pedals. The reason there is a hold mode at all, I’d like to think, is because this was one of my suggestions after having played with my Electro 2 for some weeks (way back, over ten years ago). I find hold mode to be far more natural and satisfactory than toggle mode for the rotary effect. (I’ve never played an organ with a real Leslie and half-moon switch.) This suggestion was made along with ‘send MIDI program change off’ for using the MIDI out with other gear. This has since then evolved into a split keyboard function with a separate MIDI channel. So, do let the guys at Clavia know what you think. They are taking notes! :D
DaTroll

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby rjaneshek » 08 Sep 2019, 03:21

Hi, New to the forum. Has anyone found a solution for this issue with the Moog Ep-3? I cannot find a way to get mine to do better than 52-100%. Thanks! No adjustments to the EP-3 or my Electro 5 seem to work.
rjaneshek

Return to Nord Electro Forum