General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Mental new Nord Stage 3 worrying bugs!

Postby baekgaard » 18 Sep 2017, 17:56

True, but since it's a bit of an unusual setup, you may accidentally trigger some "odd" behavior (or bugs) in either device. But in any case, I think it is an important element in debugging the problem.

Do you have any way to monitor the MIDI being sent, so that you can see/inspect what's on the line?

Also, if you don't need the NS3 to send program change messages, you could consider some ways of disabling that (if possible in your setup). If no MIDI is sent on program changes, it may behave correctly.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: Even if it worked with your NS2EX, it could potentially have been set up to transmit MIDI changes in a different way. And maybe your MIDI router could also react differently to the program changes of the NS3 than it did to the NS2EX changes. Still, it if only does this intermittently, it's weird -- but when/if it happens again, check what happens if you (temporarily) disconnects MIDI. And see also if the problem persists if you restart the MIDI router (just to check if the weird "mode" that causes this is stored in the MIDI router or your keyboard).

Anyway, just some ideas to debug this :-)
Last edited by baekgaard on 18 Sep 2017, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby fjzingo » 19 Sep 2017, 22:28

Thinking of how weird the midi out data from the stage 3 looks, I would not be surprised if what you suggest Baekgaard is what is causing the problem.

The author fjzingo was thanked by:
baekgaard
fjzingo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby BuckW » 20 Sep 2017, 13:54

As a software engineer I can guarantee that QA never tested the use cases in the OP. Maybe simplistically but not complex sequences of interaction.

I don't think of this as a blight on Nord. Every new piece of gear has teething problems like this. Coupled with radical changes like replacing the synth engine you should expect more issues.

If you want more stability you have to wait a year and sit back and watch the guinea pigs suffer for you.
BuckW

Postby keyboardnut » 21 Sep 2017, 10:13

My first one the reverb button failed and the second one developed a fault on the organ section where the volume kept going silent. My first one was repaired and now is the one I have and after the recent update seems ok so fingers crossed for no more problems. It concerns me that a top end keyboard has so many issues so early in its development.
keyboardnut

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby fjzingo » 21 Sep 2017, 22:35

Tried a very similarsetup today experimenting with an ipad running MF limiter to adjust the velocitycurves.

I.e. Running local control off, extern section through ipad.

Quite interesting experimenting with more dynamics than is used internaly and gives a completely different feel to the piano, one can make them much more dynamic.

Had some initial strange behaviour of the background noises.

I also tried to play the stage 3s piano from my montage, the pedal noises got far to high.

/F

Alll this was on OS1.12.
Last edited by fjzingo on 21 Sep 2017, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
fjzingo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum