General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 - Who's been moving my Programs!

Postby NorfolkPaul » 19 Sep 2017, 20:56

Just sat down at my Stage 3 Compact to continue (manually) replicating my NS2 programs and noticed something odd tonight. The Stage 3 booted as normal to the last Program I played yesterday, "B:04", which I had created and saved last week, but now B:04 is "Empty Program". I opened up the Nord Sound Manager and found the Program had relocated to the first available space in Bank A (A:16). I have no idea how this Program could have "jumped" to another bank. I tend to have the Sound Manager connected a lot at the moment whilst I'm creating a lot of Programs. Actually, I've just checked "Song Mode". I've been setting these up too, and that Song is still correctly pointing at B:04 as before, but is now showing "Empty Program" on Part 1.

Obviously I can just move this Program back to B:04 but I'm wondering if this is a Stage 3 bug, a glitch with Sound Manager, or I unknowingly moved the Program somehow whilst the NS3 was switched off (or just beforehand). Did my cat walk across my computer?!

Just thought I'd mention it as I'm a little paranoid about discovering NS3 bugs, and others (well, one person) have mentioned strange problems with areas like "Live" forgetting the last known settings and other control positions not being stored in Programs. I've not seen those myself though. I'm eagerly awaiting the latest OS for known-issues to be fixed and potential improvements, not to mention the release of the sample-converting Editor!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: Nord Stage 3 Compact, Hammond SK1 61
Previous: Nord Stage 2 SW73
NorfolkPaul

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Nord Stage 3 - Who's been moving my Programs!

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 - Who's been moving my Programs!

Postby baekgaard » 19 Sep 2017, 22:38

Sounds weird -- and I guess we can all be justifiably worried about discovering new bugs. There can be, of course, a natural explanation like you mentioned, related to the fact you have the sound manager connected most of the time? But keep an eye on it, and see what happens! I haven't had any such issues myself.

As for the live problems reported, in that scenario (if the one that was recently reported here nord-stage-forum-f3/mental-new-nord-stage-3-worrying-bugs-t13833.html) there is also a MIDI connection from the NS3 and back again via some external device. It is clear from the videos that the NS3 receives and reacts to MIDI messages on the input side when changing settings or moving to another live program, and I think it is -- as of now -- not completely clear how and if that is also involved in the problem or whether the MIDI messages that the NS3 sends out could confuse itself when they get back (the MIDI part has some weird bugs, and I think it's more likely to be part of the problem than some random bits that flip in the memory of the device).

The author baekgaard was thanked by 2 members, including:
DanielD71NorfolkPaul
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum