Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Defect - key action causing short?

Postby 10jed » 07 Sep 2017, 08:16

I have an E5 which I purchased new about 3 months ago. It has been spontaneously behaving as if I pressed the A/B/C/D buttons and switching between the Live programs in response to me merely playing the keys at times, and recently has been switching on effects on its own as well. I can only surmise that the pressure of playing the keys is causing a short on the printed circuit board or otherwise causing a spurious connection where those buttons make contact. Is this a known problem, and based on people's experience will Nord repair/replace it without giving me a hard time? Or do I need to contact the online retailer I purchased it from (ProAudioStar)? Thanks!
10jed

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Defect - key action causing short?

Sponsor

Re: Defect - key action causing short?

Postby pterm » 08 Sep 2017, 08:24

Before you take it in for repair, you need to rule out accidental key presses: I notice the problem buttons (A/B/C/D) and effects on/off are buttons closest to the keybed. I find I sometimes accidentally activate the drawbar buttons (also buttons nearest the keybed) when I play black-key octaves with my left hand (when my middle finger reaches into the button area) . More rarely, I have switched in effects with my right hand by over-reaching into the button area.

If you find that you press keys singly and you see control button switch behaviors, it might indicate a hardware fault (perhaps a failed diode in the key or button matrix). If you find the fault only occurs when certain keys are pressed, it might provide useful diagnostic information.

If you must press keys with high force for the misbehavior to occur, it could also indicate faulty buttons whose springs have failed so that the mechanical shock causes the button to open and close its switch. There were a few failed button reports in the past year.

You might want to try to record a video of the behavior occurring to get a better idea of what's happening. If you need further help, consider posting the video.

Also, in USA Nord service is through American Music and Sound. Their Nord Guru Pablo Mastodon is a regular contributor to the forum. He posted his contact information on the forum several times. If your problem persists, I recommend contacting him (if he doesn't come across this thread first).
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum