Stage Classic and EX best piano choices

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
michael_C1
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Stage Classic and EX best piano choices

Post by michael_C1 »

As general info for those of you who own a Nord Stage prior to the Stage 2, I recently picked up a Stage Classic 88 used and the previous owner knew what he was doing regarding piano sounds that work with this keyboard.

There is no ‘soft’ velocity curve for any Stage before the Stage 2, nor for any Electro before the E5. This has been a bone of contention for many of us.

But two things are helpful. First off, when you look at update history of the Stage Classic you’ll see that at some point the Yamaha C7 and Steinway D samples were optimized to work well. The EX would be similar. Secondly, and importantly, newer soft pianos have very good dynamics on the Classic 88 (and the EX). The Royal Grand 3D sounds wonderful, and I expect the Velvet would sound good as well, though I haven’t tried it. Brighter pianos suffer from the lack of a softer curve but NOT the softer ones.

I hope this info helps others with an earlier Stage 88.
Last edited by michael_C1 on 04 Sep 2017, 23:51, edited 2 times in total.
chipster
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Re: Stage Classic and EX best piano choices

Post by chipster »

The only problem I have with my classic is having to load smaller sample because of insufficient memory. I deleted electric grand and upright to get a little more room.