Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

buzzing noise AND clicking noise from keys

Postby kang94 » 03 Sep 2017, 19:14

Hello everyone,

I bought my first nord piano 3 about about a month and a half ago. Out of the box it worked amazing, but then as the weeks went on it started developing this really annoying 'clicking' or 'knocking' sounds when the keys were released. it got really bad to a point where I could hear it when I had headphones on, or when I played it through a speaker. I ended up getting it replaced, and I just got my replacement yesterday. Upon doing research and looking on online reviews I also found out that this is a common problem with nord keyboards.
Now my replacement keyboard is even worse. Right out of the box it had the same loud clicking noises, but in addition to that also has this very audible 'buzzing' noises from the main body when the lower keys are released. I'm getting incredibly frustrated, because I feel that a keyboard with a 3 GRAND price tag should not have these problems. Maybe I could get over the clicking noises, but I'm worried that the buzzing noises might be indicative of something more serious.
Has anyone else experienced this buzzing noise, and what have you done about it? Should I just return and get something else?
thank you
kang94

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

buzzing noise AND clicking noise from keys

Sponsor

Re: buzzing noise AND clicking noise from keys

Postby Mr_-G- » 03 Sep 2017, 20:34

Hi, welcome to the forum. Yes it is a known issue and I would have that replaced. New models should not suffer from this, maybe you received one of the early assembled ones.
Long thread on this issue, here: nord-piano-forum-f10/nord-piano-3-key-knocking-noise-t11859.html
Make sure you read it all as there is a serial number hint, so you could contact the seller and request they send you a replacement that has a serial posterior to that one.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby kang94 » 03 Sep 2017, 21:53

In that thread it says "NP3 keybeds manufactured AFTER serial # PD11184 have a newer thicker felt pad installed in the lower chassis to prevent the clacking noise."
However my keyboard has the serial number PD13171, which is a while after 11184 and I still have this issue.

I'm also more concerned about the buzzing noise that happens when I press some of the lower keys and higher keys. I'm attaching a video so hopefully people can hear it, I'm thinking about just returning it altogether. It sucks because I love the keyboard otherwise, with some of the most beautiful sampled piano sounds I've ever heard

edit: video url instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNT3rUg ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by kang94 on 03 Sep 2017, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
kang94

Postby SteveNordP3 » 03 Sep 2017, 23:02

Sadly - the Fatar keybed is a horribly weak link in an otherwise exceptionally strong chain. Mine is after the serial number too but still makes a clunky sound (I can't quite hear the buzzing you're talking about but that chunky thunk is my experience too). What makes this so sad - beyond spending $3K US on this keyboard - is that the sounds are absoulety the best I've ever heard. The sounds are the "holy grail". To have the joy of that dampened by such a crappy keyboard is really a shame. I would work with your dealer to keep trying new ones until you get something more reasonable or perhaps they can repair the one you have. I would also contact Nord directly and let them know what you think about it.

Personally - I've had Rolands and Yamahas that feel EXCEPTIONALLY OUTSTANDING and if only those keybeds were paired with the Nord sound library it would be perfection. I love the Nord sounds enough that I try to get past my utter disappointment with the Fatar keybed but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a huge disappointment.

Good luck.
SteveNordP3

Postby varignet » 11 Sep 2018, 01:04

deleted
Last edited by varignet on 13 Sep 2018, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Lead A1, Korg Trinity 76 Pro, Kawai MP7SE, Guitars, Ukes
varignet

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum