Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Layering Piano with Pad sounds

Postby stiiiiiiive » 25 Aug 2017, 14:04

druidstone wrote:In my opinion the Electro 4D shouldnt pretend to be a piano, (by having piano sounds on it)
if it doesnt have the capability of layering piano with other sounds.

Really? Is that a criterion for a “real piano” to you?

druidstone wrote:Really, who wants to cart around two keyboards to a gig just to have the ability to play two sounds? What a joke.

Well prepare to tolerate: I do.
There are people with needs different than yours: people not gigging, people gigging and wanting to carry two boards, people not needing two or more sounds simultaneously, people accepting the NE constraints as a challenge…

druidstone wrote:Surely it couldnt be too hard to allow two sounds to play at the same time.

Even the most basic no-brand keyboards have the capability of layering two sounds.

Maybe that is not your instrument and you should go no brand, no sarcasm here.
Technically, the gap between monotimbrality and multitimbrality (or monophonic and polyphonic for that matter) is a wider gap that one would expect.
My opinion is that one should get an instrument for what it is.

Not to mention market segmentation… anyways.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Sponsor

Postby PScooter63 » 26 Aug 2017, 02:34

druidstone wrote:I too are very disappointed...
What a joke.

Your profile lists both an Electro AND a Stage. How could you not know the difference? Did you do any independent research before you jumped on the E4?

I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought my E4HP. It's one of the more expensive instruments I've owned, but I also could not be more pleased, 3+ years running. For me, it was the right tool for the right job.
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Quai34 » 26 Aug 2017, 03:59

@Druidstone:
Then, go with another brand or buy a cheap module like the JV1080...150$ on ebay...Even in getting a Stage 2 in 2011, I knew immedialtely that I would have to get another brand to perfectly fit all my needs...I bought a JV1080 at that time, sold it few months after at the same price to upgrade to an XV5080 that I still use despite the crazyness about softsynth and big samples libraries on a computer...So much easier to get by in a live situation than a computer...Well, I haven't tried mainstage yet but I'm pretty sure I will stick with the "No computer" set up for all of my gigs...
In fact, it's not a joke, it's just a deliberate choice for simplicity from Nord as "Cornopean" had explained and it seems that they are still doing pretty good...
It was the same in the 80's...The Korg M1, a kind of "do it all" or a D50+a TX802 Yamaha and a Yamaha Clavinova or a Korg C3500 for A. Piano...I have always prefered the multiple choices offered by different brands that just one brand only...And nowadays, it's so easy and cheap to get a nice set up with old module that you should not hesitate to do so.
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby analogika » 26 Aug 2017, 11:31

druidstone wrote:In my opinion the Electro 4D shouldnt pretend to be a piano, (by having piano sounds on it)
if it doesnt have the capability of layering piano with other sounds.

All the "non-pretend" pianos I've ever played - grands, uprights, Rhodes, and Wurlitzers - only ever had a single sound.
Last edited by analogika on 26 Aug 2017, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 26 Aug 2017, 11:35

FWIW, clavia apparently agrees that basic layering and split functionality should be part of modern keyboards - so they added it to the Electro 5, a few years ago.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby BuckW » 26 Aug 2017, 13:01

Another possibility is to buy a rack mount unit to layer the pad with midi.

Yet another is to do the same with a software instrument and computer.
BuckW

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum