Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 4 hd

Postby Fingerz88 » 18 Aug 2017, 16:42

I've midi'd my nord to control another sound module, and it works great for layering multiple sounds. But when I use any organ sounds on the nord, the sound module receives no midi signal and I only have one sound from the nord and not able to layer anything else with the organ. Is this typical or can I change something in the system?
Fingerz88

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Electro 4 hd

Sponsor

Re: Electro 4 hd

Postby harmonizer » 18 Aug 2017, 18:33

I have an Electro 3 SW73 (waterfall keyboard), which I use a lot with an external synth module, connecting them using a traditional 5 pin MIDI cable.

This works fine, and the only difference I notice is the musical noises created by my synth, when an Organ sound is selected on my Nord Electro, is that the MIDI ON instructions act as you would expect for an Organ - the volume goes to full early during the pressing down of the key, will full volume. This sounds very weird when you are trying to play an acoustic piano sound on the external synth.

I don't know why your external synth module would be receiving no MIDI signal when you have an Organ sound selected on your Electro 4.
Last edited by harmonizer on 18 Aug 2017, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby qtipcore » 21 Aug 2017, 12:38

This might be because the Organ does not transmit Midi velocity information.
I think it only transmits velocity=1 for every note on.

It's also possible that you have a different midi channel selected for the organ?
qtipcore

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Re: Electro 4

Postby Ledbetter » 23 Aug 2017, 06:37

The E4 looks for a second organ keyboard on MIDI channel 2. Try, if you aren't already, using a channel other than 2 on your other MIDI devices. Good luck.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby qtipcore » 23 Aug 2017, 14:17

From the manual:
MIDI Menu
4 - Lower Channel
This sets the MIDI channel that the Lower Manual of the Nord Elec- tro 4D organ section responds to when the organ split and the MIDI split modes are active
Range: 1-16, OF - off (default = 2)

7 - MIDI Split Mode
If MIDI Split mode is On and the Organ is set to a split operation, the lower manual will be exclusively controlled via incoming MIDI informa- tion to the Electro 4D’s MIDI input If you connect an external MIDI keyboard, the Electro 4D can then be used in a dual manual fashion
Range: On, Off (default)

From the organ section:
Preset/Drawbar/Split
Press the Shift and the Split button to divide the Nord Electro 4D keyboard in two sections, the Lower and the Upper Manual sections By default, the split point on the keyboard is between the keys B3 and C4 You can, however, also set the split point manually by holding both the Shift and Split buttons, the split LED starts to ash, then while still holding the buttons, press the desired key A set split point is saved as part of the parameters in a program

Could it be that you have selected organ split mode, and are playing the lower manual channel from the NE4?
qtipcore

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Return to Nord Electro Forum