Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

midi over usb

Postby TerrysNE4 » 31 Jul 2017, 17:05

Hi - I want to know if it is possible to use a Line6 FVB Express Mk2 midi controller pedalboard with the NE 4?

It is hard to find a MIDI foot controller other than the Behringer FCB1010 which is too big and has limitations in what it can do.
The Line6 board seems potentially useful but doesnt have the MIDI 5-pin DIN sockets - it only has a USB socket.

I understand that the NE4 can accept MIDI input via its USB socket so my question is - if I connect a Line6 FVB unit (USB to USB) will I be able to use it to control (using MIDI) the NE4 effects, organ volume etc?

Thanks
Terry
TerrysNE4

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

midi over usb

Sponsor

Re: midi over usb

Postby Leo Castro » 31 Jul 2017, 17:28

Hi, i think it will work, but you'll need some usb hub/host in the middle.
Nord Stage 2 - Roland Juno G - Moog MG-1 - Alesis Vortex 2 - Yamaha DX7llD
Leo Castro
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby pablomastodon » 01 Aug 2017, 21:01

bomebox in the middle

USB is a host/client type protocol. The Line6 pedal is a client device. The Nord is a client device. Client devices require a host device in order to be interconnected. The (completely awesome) Bomebox will do this ( plus a WHOLE LOT MORE!).

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
sveltefox
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Quai34 » 01 Aug 2017, 21:34

HI Pablo,
Thanks a lot, I just discovered this little tool that seems great....Is it doing the same thing as the iConnectmidi2 box? Also, I saw that the Bomebox as wifi then, if I want to use its wifi network to connect/link/remote my two iPads when there is no wifi available, I could use it this way as well? Just let me know, I was thinking to buy a wifi router that I can integrate into my rig but this one is doing way more so...Maybe better to spend more and invest on a music specific product rather than any basic Walmart router, right?
Last edited by Quai34 on 01 Aug 2017, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby TerrysNE4 » 15 Aug 2017, 14:24

pablomastodon wrote:bomebox in the middle

USB is a host/client type protocol. The Line6 pedal is a client device. The Nord is a client device. Client devices require a host device in order to be interconnected. The (completely awesome) Bomebox will do this ( plus a WHOLE LOT MORE!).

Bless, Pablo

Thanks Pablo
Not worth the cost of the Bomebox for what I want.
I am surprised that no-one makes a simple midi footboard (smaller than the Behringer FCB1010 which doesn't allow press/release for sustain).
I just want to combine the organ volume, piano sustain, and some midi effects on/off and rate control into one set of pedals.
Also dont understand the general move to USB - Is MIDI dying?

Terry
TerrysNE4

Postby cgrafx » 15 Aug 2017, 20:01

TerrysNE4 wrote:
pablomastodon wrote:bomebox in the middle

Bless, Pablo

Thanks Pablo
Not worth the cost of the Bomebox for what I want.
I am surprised that no-one makes a simple midi footboard (smaller than the Behringer FCB1010 which doesn't allow press/release for sustain).
I just want to combine the organ volume, piano sustain, and some midi effects on/off and rate control into one set of pedals.
Also dont understand the general move to USB - Is MIDI dying?

Terry

There are more, but here are two that will also work. I know the iConnect box works with the line6 pedal, as I was looking for this exact solution to use with my Nord Electro.

iConnectivity - iConnectMIDI2+
Kenton MIDI USB Host MkII
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby TerrysNE4 » 17 Aug 2017, 18:02

Thanks cgrafx - that looks useful. Still quite an expensive option though (when you add together the cost of the line6 and the Kenton)!
TerrysNE4

Return to Nord Electro Forum