General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

My Brand new NS2 :-)

Postby Freak out » 04 Nov 2011, 21:26

Hello fellow Musicians,

I am really proud to anounce i finally have my Stage 2 HA88 since yesterday!
I'm allready "active" on this forum for 2 months reading and listening to samples...

The Question i have is:
Where do i start? Well at the moment i started with the manual, i think i go trough
fully trough the manual so i hope i understand and co everything at the end.
(Note: I allready upgraded to o.s. 1.40)

The thing i want to do is the following:
I play in a big rockband/coverband with numerous off piano/organ/synth/brass sounds, i played them
with my Roland G-70 and now i want to play with the 2 keyboards.
The thing is, with my band we have a setlist, and on stage i need to be able to change programs as quick
as possible. I think that's an issue with some band, the quiet moments. We're good in preventing that, but then
i need a good organisation for my keyboards.

In my Roland i can save unllimited programs because i can make new "playlists". I dont need unlimited becuz
we only have a playlist about 30-35 songs but i still want to change them quickly.
In my Roland every song is organised by name in numeric order. So nothing alphabetical.

I was wondering if it's possible to change programs on my Roland (or nord) and automatically change program
on the other board. (mostly just the next song/program). Is this possible over MIDI?
I have 2 boards now, a HA88 and a 76 (Roland), i guess i sometimes also want to use samples from the nord
played on my Roland, i just don't know anything about it lol.

I know many newbies ask questions, but it would be a verry big help if i had a plan how to start exactly after following
the manual. Maybe i know everything then, maybe not.

I'm really glad with my Nord anyway, it sounds FANTASTIC. I didn't use the Library yet but i think that's something soon to follow!

Many thanx in advance,
Bart
Last edited by Freak out on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
My Gear: Nord Stage 2 HA88 , Roland G70
Freak out
Patch Creator

My Brand new NS2 :-)

Sponsor

Re: My Brand new NS2 :-)

Postby Bernard » 04 Nov 2011, 23:39

Hi Freak Out,

congrats to the NS2 and welcome to the forum.

It's always wise to read the manual!

'Cause I don't know your skills in programming or arranging the NS2, so I only can tell you what I did. I also play in a cover band and needed several presets, aside this I need preset for my own music, I do at home.

So at first, I listened to all the presets in the NS2. With the help of an Excel list I created (uploaded here), I marked every preset with "1", "2",or "3" in an additional column.
"1" meant I liked the preset, "2" meant the preset is ok so far, but needs to be edited or is just "2nd choice", "3" meant I did not like it.
While Bank A and Bank D are the same, I cleared Bank D.
Then I cleared all presets marked with a "3".
With the help of the sound manager software I sorted all "1" and "2" categorized presets to Banks A and B, as a kind of backup. In fact I don't really use any of the factory presets for my own, but they are good to get an overview and a base for editing. This took some time of course, one day I'd say.
Then I started to program and sort sounds for my purposes, all presets for the Band in Bank D, presets for my own music in bank C. So now playing on stage or at rehearsals, I have to step only thru bank D, and there's still enough place to program further presets.

At least I write down all my own presets in the excel list, so I can quickly see (using sort algorithms in Excel) which samples I use in my presets. So I can delete the unused samples to get more room for new ones (there's never enough memory! ;-)). I still hope this kind of sorting features are included in a future update of the sound manager.

Have fun!
Bernard
Last edited by Bernard on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.

The author Bernard was thanked by:
Hanon_CTS
Bernard
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: My Brand new NS2 :-)

Postby anotherscott » 05 Nov 2011, 00:08

Freak out wrote:I was wondering if it's possible to change programs on my Roland (or nord) and automatically change program
on the other board. (mostly just the next song/program). Is this possible over MIDI?

Yes. You can create presets on the NS2 that not only call up whatever Nord sounds you want, but can also send Program Change commands out over MIDI (using the Nord's EXT functions), which will change the patch on your Roland. You'll need a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT of the Nord to the MIDI IN of the Roland. It's a little more complicated if you don't actually want the Nord to trigger the Roland sounds. I think the Roland has MIDI filters that may let you handle that, or you should be able to create a very small EXT zone on the Nord that will send the patch change, but not trigger any notes unless you play in that small range (i.e. a few notes at the top or bottom of the board). There may be other ways to do this, but that's one possible way that came to mind.

You might be able to do the reverse as well, use the Roland to call up the Nord patches, but I don't know enough about the Roland to say for sure.

Freak out wrote:I have 2 boards now, a HA88 and a 76 (Roland), i guess i sometimes also want to use samples from the nord
played on my Roland, i just don't know anything about it lol.

Yes, you can do that too. You would need a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT of the Roland to the MIDI IN of the Nord. The Nord is very flexible in how it treats an external keyboard. You could set it so that it only triggers one of the two slots, or so that it only triggers organ, etc. In this case, you might again also need to look at the MIDI filter functions to enable--or in this case, possibly prevent--your patch changes on the Roland from changing the sound on the Nord.
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Stage Forum