Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Lead 2X keyboard grease

Postby ziekke » 01 Aug 2017, 22:06

Hey,

I recently did a thorough clean of a Nord Lead 2X that I bought used. I cleaned the grease off the rubber key guides and I am having a hell of a time finding appropriate grease to replace it with. Most just ends up not staying and the keys start feeling nice, then they get sticky and then squeaky.

The latest I've used is a silicone grease from the hardware store used for plumbing, but it is very sticky. So while it seems to stay okay, the key travel is quite slow now.

Does anyone know exactly what type of grease and preferably have some brand/product recommendations for solving this issue? I've tried 3 or 4 different types of lubricants with no success.

Thanks!
ziekke

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Lead 2X keyboard grease

Sponsor

Re: Lead 2X keyboard grease

Postby Ledbetter » 05 Aug 2017, 06:30

I don't think there's supposed to be grease in that area. You could put a tiny dot of silicon grease at the point where the key pivots in the frame. I use diver's silicone grease. You might post a picture of the area you're talking about.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby ziekke » 05 Aug 2017, 20:46

Thanks for the reply! There was definitely grease before I cleaned it. And if I clean all the grease off this spot the keys end up squeaky/sticky (rubber on plastic is certainly not friction free)

I had sort of okay luck with silicone dielectric grease, but I think it is just too viscous for the key to travel freely. It stays though, which is more than can be said about the other greases I tried.

Is diver's grease NLGI 0 or 1?

Here is a picture of the area:
Last edited by ziekke on 05 Aug 2017, 20:49, edited 3 times in total.
ziekke

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Ledbetter » 08 Aug 2017, 07:32

I'm bowing out here. I don't know what specific product to use in that area, but I would use the bare minimum of something silicone-based that won't drip away. Can someone provide more help?
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum