All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Soundcard/Mixer with more than 3 stereo inputs

Postby LudovicVDP » 06 Aug 2017, 16:00

Hi there,

I've looked for this in the forum but couldn't find anything recent so... here it is.

At the moment, I have a soundcard with 3 stereo inputs (and 3 stereo outputs). I have three keyboards. Perfect match... But...
I have some external effects (Strymon Big Sky...). If I want to create a send/return loop in Ableton, I need to get out (1 of the three outputs -> no problem) and get back in -> No more available stereo inputs! Otherwise, I have to chose with synth I want the Strymon to be used with, and to play with the cables everytime I want it on another synth :thumbdown:
That in addition to the fact that I'm not sure I'll stick to "only" 3 keyboards my whole life :mrgreen: I'm looking for a better solution.

I work with Ableton Live and VST (effects and instruments) and I like the idea of using soft effects on my synth. So I want to have 1 Audio channel per synth so I can treat them separately in Ableton. Not an option to have an external mixer that would gather all my keyboards in only one stereo input of my soundcard.
But when I'm looking a the solutions, most of the mixer/soundcards I find have a lot of mono channels and only a few stereo channels. I don't need 4 mono channels and 2 stereo channels. I would rather need the exact opposite.

I know some of you have a lot of keyboards. Much more than 3. How do you deal with that in your studio?

Thanks.
Ludovic
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Soundcard/Mixer with more than 3 stereo inputs

Sponsor

Re: Soundcard/Mixer with more than 3 stereo inputs

Postby ibljula » 06 Aug 2017, 17:52

Would a patchbay help you?
If you don't need to use more than your 3 stereo inputs at a time, this could be a solution for you. It's very practical and I route all my hardware synths, samplers and effect pedals through it, and it's easy to quickly rerouting the short cables on the front panel.
I got this one many years ago and never regret it: https://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_spatch_plus.htm
ibljula
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Postby maxpiano » 06 Aug 2017, 18:57

Take a look at the Motu Ultralite Hybrid or AVB, or pther models with even more channels; I think that's the kind of soundcard you are looking for.
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 Aug 2017, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby dhbp-nord » 06 Aug 2017, 20:06

https://global.focusrite.com/thunderbol ... arett-8pre

To use VST FX on real keyboards in real time you will need a soundcard with super-low latency. USB3 or Thunderbolt probably. A fast CPU too.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby LudovicVDP » 06 Aug 2017, 23:19

Thanks for your answers.

Indeed a patchbay could be a first solution that would ease the process of changing the Strymon from one keyboard to another.
Thanks for that. I was not familiar with that at all. Considering the low cost of such a thing, I might definitely consider this in a near future.
But should I get a fourth source (keyboard of anything else), I would still be limited to three instruments simultaneously as my soundcard only has three stereo inputs.
http://11234-presscdn-0-32.pagely.netdn ... dio_61.jpg

I'll have a look at the Motu. Thanks
LudovicVDP

Postby LudovicVDP » 06 Aug 2017, 23:27

Should have specified;
Computer... Windows... USB...
LudovicVDP