Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Output Routing on NE5D

Postby therealdrawbars » 05 Aug 2017, 16:08

Hi All,

I've been playing around with my new NE5D-73, with the goal of duplicating a setup that I've used on the NE3 in the past. I know it also works on the NE4, too, but the new split/layer engine has added a few wrinkles.

In the NE3/NE4, there is a choice of Stereo (St), Separated Output (SO), or Split (Sp). I use Split to send the tonewheel organ to the left, and everything else to the right (in mono); this allows me to feed the Electro to a Leslie, MS, Vent, etc. for B-3 sounds; and the Clavs, combo organ, piano, and EPs to a stationary amp. Since the NE3/NE4 is monotimbral, the effects and reverb are mapped to whichever engine is active, and always sent to the proper output.

On the NE5, the situation is a little different. The choices are Stereo, or 'PartL:L PartU:R' where the two parts are each mapped to one of the outputs. To be fair, the end result is pretty much as-good-or-better-than the old situation: I could have an organ, or a piano, or a sampler, but only one at a time. Now, I can have any two out of three, which seems a leap forward, right? Except there are wrinkles ...

If I choose a 2-manual organ, the lower manual comes out the left, and the upper manual out the right. This won't work with a Leslie, but there is a 'feature' -- used in quotes, because I'm not sure if it was intentional or not -- that if the EQ is set to L+U, then both parts come out the left output. (See my other post from yesterday.) So, it seems that the left manual has to be the one for tonewheel organ, in order to get two manuals. Experimentation also shows that the reverb only processes the Lower/Left engine when in split mode; the Upper/Right engine is dry. Even if I disable the Lower engine, the Upper one remains without reverb. So that means I really only have two choices, neither optimum:

1. Use the Lower/Left output for organ, and live with the fact that pianos and samples will always be dry.
  2. Use the Upper/Right engine for organ. This gives reverb to the other sounds, but means that the organ will always be a single manual.

Am I missing something? is there another way to make this work?

Regards,
-BW
therealdrawbars

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Output Routing on NE5D

Sponsor

Return to Nord Electro Forum